New Grower 100% New to growing

Luketheduke

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I found this forum the night that I started to germ and I was a bit overwhelmed and nervous to post as I didnt want to be ridiculed. But yall seem like a good friendly bunch of people so here we go...

I ordered 3 gorilla glue seeds and 3 G13 seeds. All autos of course. I live in Southern AZ and have a good sized shop behind my house. Since my job gives me access to PVC I started playing around and made a hillbilly rigged grow tent using pvc, shrink wrap, foil and a tarp. Inside I have 2x 2 ft. 19w feit full spectrum LED lights (the two tubes of LED w a switch) and 2x 16w feit full spectrum grow lamp bulbs rigged on pvc. 3x 5 gallon buckets. Soil PH monitor. Temp and humidity guage, a small heater and a humidifier.

Before I came here and read the advice I made the mistake of planting in Miracle Gro soil. So i started germing the GG seeds a few days back. 1 in a cup of water. And 2 with the paper towel method. They have all since germed and the taproot has appeared. I have moved them into the 5 gallon buckets after i moistened the soil a bit. Its hard for me to keep humidity up in the room so right now I have some syran wrap laying lightly over the buckets to help trap some in with the sprout. My guage shows humidity around 27-35% as long as I keep the humidifier running on high. The temp is pretty stable between 70-80 degrees.

One of the taproots has sprouted through the soil so I have one of my feit 19w LED lights turned on for it at a distance of 30".

What can I do to help this along and have happy, healthy plants? Any help would be welcome and appreciated

I attached a couple pics of how the grow room looked midway and before I put the tarp on the roof. It is now completely enclosed. Also attached pics of the lights im using.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 20201214_190541.jpg
    20201214_190541.jpg
    920 KB · Views: 67
  • 20201218_063802.jpg
    20201218_063802.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66
  • 20201218_062645.jpg
    20201218_062645.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 63
  • 20201217_115924.jpg
    20201217_115924.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20201217_120153.jpg
    20201217_120153.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 61
hi bro and no one will take the piss here its all about healthy advice and i started off here in 2016 just like you also your room is big to keep humidity on them little seedling up until there all above your media i get a water bottle and cut the bottom off to make a little dome over your tiny girls like these in my pic also I'm pretty sure someone can help you set your room up correctly i grow in a tent myself

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_162716.jpg
    IMG_20200703_162716.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
hi bro and no one will take the piss here its all about healthy advice and i started off here in 2016 just like you also your room is big to keep humidity on them little seedling up until there all above your media i get a water bottle and cut the bottom off to make a little dome over your tiny girls like these in my pic also I'm pretty sure someone can help you set your room up correctly i grow in a tent myself

I knew I made it too big. Im going to do the water bottle idea you shared. That will be easier than the syran wrap. Did you poke holes in the water bottle or no?

Hey everyone, I found this forum the night that I started to germ and I was a bit overwhelmed and nervous to post as I didnt want to be ridiculed. But yall seem like a good friendly bunch of people so here we go...

I ordered 3 gorilla glue seeds and 3 G13 seeds. All autos of course. I live in Southern AZ and have a good sized shop behind my house. Since my job gives me access to PVC I started playing around and made a hillbilly rigged grow tent using pvc, shrink wrap, foil and a tarp. Inside I have 2x 2 ft. 19w feit full spectrum LED lights (the two tubes of LED w a switch) and 2x 16w feit full spectrum grow lamp bulbs rigged on pvc. 3x 5 gallon buckets. Soil PH monitor. Temp and humidity guage, a small heater and a humidifier.

Before I came here and read the advice I made the mistake of planting in Miracle Gro soil. So i started germing the GG seeds a few days back. 1 in a cup of water. And 2 with the paper towel method. They have all since germed and the taproot has appeared. I have moved them into the 5 gallon buckets after i moistened the soil a bit. Its hard for me to keep humidity up in the room so right now I have some syran wrap laying lightly over the buckets to help trap some in with the sprout. My guage shows humidity around 27-35% as long as I keep the humidifier running on high. The temp is pretty stable between 70-80 degrees.

One of the taproots has sprouted through the soil so I have one of my feit 19w LED lights turned on for it at a distance of 30".

What can I do to help this along and have happy, healthy plants? Any help would be welcome and appreciated

I attached a couple pics of how the grow room looked midway and before I put the tarp on the roof. It is now completely enclosed. Also attached pics of the lights im using.

Thanks everyone!

I can't help with the soil but some questions and stuff for you.

Your humidity is too low. The shell could get stuck, nutrition problems, poor growth, etc.

That helps you maintain your temperature and humidity in harmony for 'ideal' growth.

An IR thermometer on the leaves gives you your Leaf Surface Temperature that is combined with your ambient temperature and humidity to determine your VPD.

Pulse Labs makes a sensor that calculates VPD and monitors several aspects of your environment.

You need at least a grow tent to hold heat in a bit, contain odors, and exchange air. Also your lighting is underpowered for your goals.

I can't help with the soil but some questions and stuff for you.

Your humidity is too low. The shell could get stuck, nutrition problems, poor growth, etc.

That helps you maintain your temperature and humidity in harmony for 'ideal' growth.

An IR thermometer on the leaves gives you your Leaf Surface Temperature that is combined with your ambient temperature and humidity to determine your VPD.

Pulse Labs makes a sensor that calculates VPD and monitors several aspects of your environment.

You need at least a grow tent to hold heat in a bit, contain odors, and exchange air. Also your lighting is underpowered for your goals.

What would you recommend I do in order to correct my issues? The calculator put me at 2.08 kpa

I knew I made it too big. Im going to do the water bottle idea you shared. That will be easier than the syran wrap. Did you poke holes in the water bottle or no?
i don't put holes in the bottles but you can do a couple also @damien50 will help you with your space also as he says your lights will be way underpowered

i don't put holes in the bottles but you can do a couple also @damien50 will help you with your space also as he says your lights will be way underpowered
I pop a couple holes in my water bottle domes, just my preference.

Definitely need better lights though. Would prob be good for veg?

Put some bracers in between verticals to keep poles from bowing... for lights I have about 570 true watts over 4 girls in a 4x4x80. And I am probably underpowered slightly... Mars hydro are inexpensive or I’ve seen good plants under fluorescent lights... just gotta make sure you have enough power to make em grow good!

Back