AFN Myth Busters 2017

Your input is always welcome!
Thanks man.
Yeah, this green light stuff gets interestinger and interestinger.
You know how we thought green light okay to work under during dark cycle cause they didn’t use green. Not true, yes it doesn’t excite the phytochromes that regulate sleep but they do photosynthesize. I’m still wrapping my head around pr and pfr. . .

Thanks man.
Yeah, this green light stuff gets interestinger and interestinger.
You know how we thought green light okay to work under during dark cycle cause they didn’t use green. Not true, yes it doesn’t excite the phytochromes that regulate sleep but they do photosynthesize. I’m still wrapping my head around pr and pfr. . .

I use a green headlamp in the garden nightly when I spray our plants at the commercial grow. By law we have to have exit signs on all the doors leaving the flower rooms too, so we have bright ass green lights from those on. It's dark in the room until your eyes adjust, then I swear I could probably read a paper by greenlight just from some of the ambient light in there. Couple that with LED's from dehumidifiers and other equipment and there's a surprisingly amount of "little bits of light" that come in. Yet, we don't hermie from light stress. They always harvest under green lamps (like a heat lamp reflector with a green bulb.) Doesn't seem to effect anything (running hours at a time before lights come on.)

They can photosynthesize on green light but it does not trigger the Pf Pfr response. I believe blue light also.

I use a green headlamp in the garden nightly when I spray our plants at the commercial grow. By law we have to have exit signs on all the doors leaving the flower rooms too, so we have bright ass green lights from those on. It's dark in the room until your eyes adjust, then I swear I could probably read a paper by greenlight just from some of the ambient light in there. Couple that with LED's from dehumidifiers and other equipment and there's a surprisingly amount of "little bits of light" that come in. Yet, we don't hermie from light stress. They always harvest under green lamps (like a heat lamp reflector with a green bulb.) Doesn't seem to effect anything (running hours at a time before lights come on.)

Yep, putting them in the dark is a total waste of time, ranks right up there with flushing......... not once have I seen anyone prove it to do anything by comparing it to a clone that didn't get the dark period, then having the buds tested. ( which is why no one will prove it, who's going to spent that kind of money on a losing bet.. ) You can't compare 2 different plants..... the results are meaningless.
What about chopping them while they are, and have been in the dark, for awhile?
Any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise on if this affects what remains in the bud?
Perhaps it would take 48hours of dark to see any results from such.
Just curious, not sure if it matters- but I am chopping my autos soon...

24-48 hours dark period is Bullshit. most who harvest outdoors with fruits or anything really will tell you to take it early.meaning in the mroning before the sun is really up. Morning harvest..?why? well its kind os like the dark period if you will. that 4-6 hour rest period essentially rejuvenates the plant and gains all that THC that it has lost from using all the energy to produce that THC and similar canabiniods.so morning or after a small rest in the dark your plant IS a little more potent that taking it in the later evening after a full day in the sun. I have personaly tried this several times and personally find morning harvests or resting for (i typically say 12hrs) a full rest in your dark period or 6 hours typically works.but again,to each their own. I wanna get high,not smoke a stink weed LMFAO!
I think this answers a question I just posted.
Happy plants = good herb.

It’s even more fun though to play with tropisms and light effect. Cool stuff like green light fostering shade effect , uv increasing trichome production.
Check this out:

From an abstract I found on the American Society of Plant Biologists web site. Interesting, very interesting. Ima gonna add some green light and see, just checking for wavelengths.
Already working on supplemental blue, UVA, UVB,and Emerson effect reds.

Plant communication is pretty fascinating stuff. Sorry if it’s way off topic. Sitting in a waiting room bored and free associating.

How will you be measuring the spectrum to determine amounts?

How will you be measuring the spectrum to determine amounts?
I’m not really. I am using the specific wavelengths of the led as my guide to what but do not have a good method to determine how much. I’m open to ideas. . . A lot of it will be based on empirical research, observations

It's a myth. However there is slight evidence that terpenes increase with a normal 12hr or less dark period.

Any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise on if this affects what remains in the bud?

It's a myth. However there is slight evidence that terpenes increase with a normal 12hr or less dark period.

IMO, and food for thought on the terpenes and darkness; one reason I could see giving a dark period (even a slight dark out) before chop (especially if you grow 24/0 light schedule,) is because of the volatility of terpenes. Terpenes are highly volatile, meaning they evaporate pretty easily in the presence of heat and light (which your grow lights and the sun put out in spades.) Terpenes are constantly being destroyed and regenerated by the plant while they are growing during the day, and it's more evident on a super hot day when you go "PHEW, these girls are STINKY today!" Once the plant is chopped and harvested, this regenerative quality slows until it stops. So by giving a dark period (and not reintroducing the normal regiment of heat/light,) I think it would stand to reason you're building that terp profile back up to where it should optimally be for the plant/environment/conditions, versus chopping in the middle of the day with the lights on.

As a devil's advocate, I do wonder how much of this is still achieved simply by drying the plant in darkness under optimal conditions.

The other claim is that 2 days of darkness is reducing chlorophyll levels, but that's also something you're achieving in normal dry/cure, so...

Back