Cloning Autoflowers

@Smoking Frog
@Waira
Odd you would ask this.
I've perfected my DIY cloner last fall and was looking for excuses to use it since growing Autos.
I'm going to rebaptise it the AutEau cloner after this test.
I'm segregating my males from fems in the tent today. So rather than scrap some healthy males, lets do some science :vibe::headbang::vibe:
I've got clonex and anything else you can imagine in my Arsenal..GBA ,IBA..etc..
Let the suggestions begin folks...
pics will be taken daily for future reference.

Last edited:
@Smoking Frog
@Waira
Odd you would ask this.
I've perfected my DIY cloner last fall and was looking for excuses to use it since growing Autos.
I'm going to rebaptise it the AutEau cloner after this test.
I'm segregating my males from fems in the tent today. So rather than scrap some healthy males, lets do some science :vibe::headbang::vibe:
I've got clonex and anything else you can imagine in my Arsenal..GBA ,IBA..etc..
Let the suggestions begin folks...
pics will be taken daily for future reference.

An autoflower clone-off competition may be in the cards in the near future.

Here is a clone i took for fun and in hopes of some of the regulars becoming male and i could make seeds with this, but all regs were females, so this was more of a decoration. It did dry out too much couple of times and was getting a bit past its age, those + possibly me having it in tent at times and at times under kitchen sink light and at times on window, it started hermying, so i decided to cut it.

Bds still have a tiny bit of moisture in them and scale shows 4.7g from that one alone. Maybe like 4.2g when dried out?

This was a small lowest branch that already had started flowering and because it tried to flower too hard before roots, i pruned it in some fim fashion while still rooting and trying to flower. Didnt have to use clonex etc, just put a bit of biobizz root juice in water while it was rooting. There was another cutting i took, it was just a tiny bit at later stage and did not root.

I think that there would be a possibility of being able to cram more of bud to extremely small spaces by taking cutting from autoflower like this. This doesent have more root space than a solo cup and you could fit a few of those even to 1x1 foot space and it wouldnt require much height either, but that space would get small even for one low ryder in 2 gallon pot.

I will definitely take cuttings from my autos if i want to make seeds in the future. Even one cuttings sized this would make quite a bit of seeds pollinated fully, but taking this sort of low branch out that wouldnt bud much likely anyways, just allows the plant to put more energy to other branches. This ofc depends on strain, some strains grow decent first branches, many dont and i like to cut weak first branches that doesent grow enough off anyways. So all win

IMG_3796.jpeg

How many of you have tried cloning autoflowers? What were your results of said project? Anyone ever document or take pictures of the process?

I have, it worked, they flowered … though at the time it was just for shits n' giggles. I've just started a grow, so I'd be down for some experimentation!

I've been cloning for years now. I use it for different purposes. You can't "clone" an auto in the same sense as a photo period but it definitely works.. What I've learned through trial and error is that the end result (plant size/yield) is all about timing, and where you take the cut from on the plant. I've had cuts that grew and inch and ended up looking like a weed lollipop.. And I've had cuts completely branch out and look very similar to a regular full grown auto plant. It seems to depend on when you take the cut, and whether it was a younger branch or older branch. I mainly use cloning for reversing and breeding now. I've even taken cuts, thrown them in the fridge for 3 weeks, then started the rooting process when I was ready. Everything I've done with photos, I've done with autos.

I've been cloning for years now. I use it for different purposes. You can't "clone" an auto in the same sense as a photo period but it definitely works.. What I've learned through trial and error is that the end result (plant size/yield) is all about timing, and where you take the cut from on the plant. I've had cuts that grew and inch and ended up looking like a weed lollipop.. And I've had cuts completely branch out and look very similar to a regular full grown auto plant. It seems to depend on when you take the cut, and whether it was a younger branch or older branch. I mainly use cloning for reversing and breeding now. I've even taken cuts, thrown them in the fridge for 3 weeks, then started the rooting process when I was ready. Everything I've done with photos, I've done with autos.

No shit, the cool temps in the fridge preserve it? I've let autos sit in my uninsulated basement before where I swear they went into suspended animation :rofl:

No shit, the cool temps in the fridge preserve it? I've let autos sit in my uninsulated basement before where I swear they went into suspended animation :rofl:
It definitely works. I've been using the "fridge tech" with photo clones for a long time. Tried it with autos and it worked the same. It just takes longer for the cuts to root. But it definitely seems to suspend them. No weird leave color or anything. It really is an amazing plant that's hard as hell to kill, lol

cloned plenty photos but never attempted auto, as figured it was pointless.
I'm not great at cloning full stop, reckon I got a 20% success rate n tried everything inc building my own fogponic box but never more than 20% so I'd also need 5 cuttings for 1 success. My chances are not good.

lets do some science
YEAH, SON. I'M IN...!

I've even taken cuts, thrown them in the fridge for 3 weeks, then started the rooting process when I was ready
Srsl ?

@Son of Hobbes @Proph - This is quite coincidental, but consider this.

A few years back I tested the Gas Lantern Routine on DP AutoUltimates, in my sig. A weird light schedule that is 99% guaranteed to keep photoperiod plants in veg without triggering flowering, while saving electricity. Of course, it did not prevent the autos from flowering, but it DID considerably slow them down.

The schedule is

12 hours on
5 and 1/2 hours off
1 hour on
5 and 1/2 hours off

From seed to harvest was 100 days, so almost 15 weeks. Now, I'm running the exact same genetics using 24/0, and targeting 65 days, or just over 9 weeks

So adapting these findings, I think I'm going to test this. Clone auto's and use the GL routine to slow them down while they recover.

Idea being, for example to use CS to make seeds. Or re-use lollipoping/defoliation cuts to squeeze a good few extra grams.
I like the first option better though :smoking:

Last edited:
Back