Outdoor Crow's GG at 56ºN

Another wee update that has been delayed by work.

One clone from @brock1 's Joshua was really throwing pistils out, like she wanted to flower. So I decided to plant her outside quick. Nothing to lose! She went down at a disused railway plot.

I found some good topsoil on a wooded slope, and added it on top of the coco and compost placed in holes last visit, with a layer of cardboard mulch in the middle. I noticed something had been digging in one of he holes, probably a fox. I placed a cage in the hole, can't use pegs there so weighed down the sides with stone chippings. In fact I covered the soil outside the cage with chippings, makes it a bit less obvious, although the wire cage is a bit of a giveaway.

Beforehand I had put some copper tape around the bottle 'pot' the clone was in. I also cut slits all around the top edge, and then on site I cut the bottom of the pot away and folded the top over making an anti-slug device.

That's the first one planted out, I'll do a staggered planting and I need to make more holes in the ballast somewhere nearby. Also found a window box style planter under a bridge, which I might use for a few plants further along the line.

large.IMG_20230427_183059_340.jpeg.eff9c5411bb6c225d4d28613574e84f6.jpeglarge.IMG_20230427_183149_090.jpeg.70a5874ae1e9b2d5e8ff4c49a5dc82b1.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have that capability of outdoor growing mate I would definitely plant some autos . I started outdoor over 15 years ago with so much wasted adventures so if you need the seeds to maximise you're endeavours just got me up on DM and I will sort you out. :pighug:

If you have that capability of outdoor growing mate I would definitely plant some autos . I started outdoor over 15 years ago with so much wasted adventures so if you need the seeds to maximise you're endeavours just got me up on DM and I will sort you out. :pighug:
Generous to a fault as ever, mate! Reckon I'm okay for seeds for this batch, the main issue I have is time: for plot prep, mostly. It's a fair bit of work. Also tricky to find decent plot sites when you live in a city...

I do have a wee project in mind though, will DM you. :greenthumb:

Wee update on the auto seedlings. Two definite no shows, very unlikely they'll germinate now. The others are about a week old, will soon need to be potted up into plastic bottle containers, before they go outside a couple of weeks from now.

Today I will be sowing more seeds - it's time for the photos and fast versions.

large.IMG_20230430_222010.jpeg.c47f01212e41dfbe66b02f89b4de23b7.jpeg

That's the rest of the seeds sown into soil, and warming in the heated propagator. Photos, fast versions, plus I wet an extra Slaughtered Lamb and a Biddy Early 2 Fast. Also popped a Sweet Seeds S.A.D. bean gifted by another grower.

Now while I wait, I need to get those plots sorted out! :mrgreen:

large.IMG_20230501_152909.jpeg.33d47ee3195992ba2bcb0d13f8153f70.jpeg

Can be a bit nerve-wracking at times trying not to be spotted working the plots...

The first bunch of new seedlings broke cover today, so I quickly transferred them to the veg cab to get some light. 2 x BCN Critical XXL Fast, S.A.D., Kush Mintz, and an Essex Gold. The wee square pots are my own Quackerjack seeds - still holding out faint hope for them, at least until the next lot break soil...

large.6453e71cad086_IMG_20230504_173942(1).jpeg.7aef37116ad29996620cadf5a7eec1ca.jpeg

Their larger cousins the autos, semi-autos and earlies are growing fairly quick and some are stretching, so I boosted the light a little bit for them. They will be getting potted up in the next few days. Now that my recent harvest is in jars I'll be moving some across to the small tent to veg after potting up, as they'll not all fit in here.

large.IMG_20230504_174322.jpeg.a92dba955bc62da73f4333b159ae304b.jpeg

Had a closer look at the autos, semi-autos, etc. and nearly all have roots poking out of the fibre pots, some were quite long. I'd better get them potted up sharpish!

Back