Lighting ideas for a 4x4 tent

Reaction score
Hey everyone I currently have a 2x4 tent and run 2x HLG 96 QB Elites. I’m looking to upgrade the size of my tent and I’m wanting some advice on lights. As of now I’m leaning toward trying to sell my old tent and light fixture but if I can get away with possibly keeping my current light fixture and adding more lights I’d consider that as well. Im trying to stay under $1000 for the lighting. The reason I’m budgeting so high is because I want to get the absolute most I can out of a 4x4 grow space and maximize my harvests. Feel free to leave your guys’ opinions or to ask questions. Thanks in advance everybody.

Hey everyone I currently have a 2x4 tent and run 2x HLG 96 QB Elites. I’m looking to upgrade the size of my tent and I’m wanting some advice on lights. As of now I’m leaning toward trying to sell my old tent and light fixture but if I can get away with possibly keeping my current light fixture and adding more lights I’d consider that as well. Im trying to stay under $1000 for the lighting. The reason I’m budgeting so high is because I want to get the absolute most I can out of a 4x4 grow space and maximize my harvests. Feel free to leave your guys’ opinions or to ask questions. Thanks in advance everybody.
I love my qb96s! I started out with 2 of them on one side of my 4x4, and planned on another 2 for the other side. Ended up with a 350R for the other side but another pair of 96's would have done well too. I got the 350R for a really good deal, that's why I ended up going with it or I would have stuck with the 96's. There's a guy (orgrow or something to that extent) on the GC forums that did a huge breakdown of the 96's and spacing in a variety of tent sizes. Needless to say, 4 of the 96's powered well will rock a 4x4 and the price for them is phenomenal. I run each of my 96s on their own HLG-185 with the drivers outside the tent.

If you've been pretty happy with the HLG products, maybe an upgrade to one of their Diablo boards? I think their rep here @Les @HLG might be able to suggest something that fits your needs perfectly.

The 600R spec looks fantastic and comes in underbudget at $850

Their even bigger 650R is just over at $1099

If you're looking for something totally new and different, I always look at the Scynce Raging Kush 2.0 - far beyond what I would ever need but I love the tech aspects it includes. Programmable spectrum, dawn & dusk, etc.... It is over budget at $1495 but if you sold your current setup and had a bit of stretch....

Or GrowLightsAustralia

The Blackwing or the 600Rspec, either are great lights for a 4x4 tent. If you want the ultimate, the 650R is the light to beat in a 4x4 or 5x5 tent. Best bang for the buck is the Blackwing.

The Blackwing or the 600Rspec, either are great lights for a 4x4 tent. If you want the ultimate, the 650R is the light to beat in a 4x4 or 5x5 tent. Best bang for the buck is the Blackwing.
The new generation diode (LM301H EVO) has already made everything you might have in your grow room obsolete (to my great pleasure as HPS grower). They are developed specifically for plants (have different emission frequency of the photon pump) not like the previous (yeah even LM301H) that were general but energy efficient light diodes. I will wait to switch until they become mainstream.

Ahhhh, some day :biggrin:

Cheers
I was leaning toward this light in the beginning but now I'm starting to rethink my decision. With what @>Potato said about Samsung's newest diode I think it would be best to wait for fixtures to come out with the newest technology. With that said does anyone know if the new EVO diodes are that much better than what is provided on fixtures that are available now? Also, I see this fixture uses diodes that aren't Samsung so maybe these might be on par or close to the new EVO diodes. Amazing light none the less!

Thanks Les for the response! I have been quite happy with my HLG lights so far and when I started looking for a new light I went to your website first. The Blackbird caught my eye at first but after doing a little more research I have a few questions for you. First and foremost I've seen this fixture on multiple sites for $699 (Example-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QV4M21P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3OJY9E0ZY1FCH&psc=1) much cheaper than the $850 your company is charging on their website. If I were to buy my next light fixture from your company would you match and beat that price? Also, I saw in the description of the fixture that it uses 6x 200 Quantum Boards. Those boards have the 648 Diablo's if I'm not mistaken but when you compare the pictures on your website the HLG 200 Diablo appear to be bigger and have more diodes than the Blackbid's supposed Diablo boards. Lastly, if you could explain a little as to why the 600R and 650R are better/more expensive than the Blackbird I'd appreciate it. Thanks again for helping me with my light search.

Last edited:
I love my qb96s! I started out with 2 of them on one side of my 4x4, and planned on another 2 for the other side. Ended up with a 350R for the other side but another pair of 96's would have done well too. I got the 350R for a really good deal, that's why I ended up going with it or I would have stuck with the 96's. There's a guy (orgrow or something to that extent) on the GC forums that did a huge breakdown of the 96's and spacing in a variety of tent sizes. Needless to say, 4 of the 96's powered well will rock a 4x4 and the price for them is phenomenal. I run each of my 96s on their own HLG-185 with the drivers outside the tent.
The penny pincher in me keeps considering keeping my 2x 96 QB Elites and just adding lights. Do you know by chance how far off are the Elites from the other HLG fixtures (Phontontek one as well) that have been mentioned performance wise?

The new generation diode (LM301H EVO) has already made everything you might have in your grow room obsolete (to my great pleasure as HPS grower). They are developed specifically for plants (have different emission frequency of the photon pump) not like the previous (yeah even LM301H) that were general but energy efficient light diodes. I will wait to switch until they become mainstream.
After I read this I looked around for fixtures that have these new diodes and the only one I could find was from this company- https://www.philizon.com/ph-linear-series/62167627.html
Do you or anyone else know anything about this company? I sent them an email to inquire a little more about them and their fixture but I don't want to waste my time if they aren't a reliable and reputable company. Also, do you have any idea when these diodes might become more readily available on fixtures or QB's?

Back