New Grower New member, new grow. Mephisto Cosmic Queen and Mephisto 24 Carat

Day 5 update
Minor update. Day 5 and the girls looked a bit off their stride, so I checked the nute solution for ph, and found that it had gone back up to at least 7. Sigh. So, multiple liters of nute solution later, the girls have been thoroughly flushed, and we shall see how they like it. The new ph meter that in theory I pick up shortly will make the monitoring a bit easier and more accurate.

It seems that my water is pretty determined to remain more alkaline than I would prefer.

I also have an EC meter coming, and will need to recheck and possibly re flush and buffer the coco in the final pots once it gets here. Good old coco...

Hello moderator, it seems that I put this in the wrong spot, could you move it to the new growers grow journal section please. Thanks for the help.
quotes and @Olderfart work a treat :smoking: jus type @archie......and wait for the lil box to pop up then click me :thumbsup: a good @ should turn green...or is it blue :shrug:
coco stuff from blue :pass: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/canna-coco-growing-tips.29173/

autopts section https://www.autoflower.org/forums/autopots-watering-systems.647/
moved :toke:
good luck n keep er lit
:pighug:

No worries @archie space gemmill , I figured you would have a look at some point. Thanks for the help.

ph meter in hand, another flush with fresh ph'ed nutes, so we shall see how the girls make out. No sign of serious stress so far, I think I caught the problem early enough.

Another minor update. Given the apparent mischief with the seedlings a few days ago, I re-buffered and aggressively rinsed my coco before doing any transplants into the final pots. The Cosmic Queen is now transplanted as of Day 7 (yesterday), and doing very nicely it seems. I had checked for roots showing on Day 6, and found nada. Evening of Day 7 and the little bugger had roots coming out all over the place. Talk about keen! The transplant was a tad messy due to the coco not holding together well, but I made sure that the new coco was PHed exactly the same as the seedling mix, and the plant seems to be perfectly happy 24 hours later. The two 24 Carat will likely be transplanted tonight or tomorrow. Pics once they are settled in after the transplant.

The new ph meter works a treat so far. Heck of a lot easier than the PH drops.

Day 10 update
Something I learned since the last update is that my lights are too much for the seedlings at ~20", at least they were for the Cosmic Queen when my temperatures got a bit too high (~28C) for part of a day. The lights are now moved up and lowered in intensity. I will work closer and stronger over time as the girls adjust.

The other thing I learned is you gotta buy an EC meter, even if you think that your tap water is great, at least you do when dealing with coco. Did I mention that an EC meter helps? It turns out that our tap water is ~370. And here I was assuming that my nute mix was likely about 800 or so at this stage. Nope, when I got the meter two days ago, I found out that the nute mix was over 1500. Hence the issues I was having with the early growth.

Anyway, the meter is now in the tool box, the nute strength has been hauled back to ~800 with distilled water, and I have found a nice local lake source of EC 25 water. Until the lake freezes up, that will be my water supply. After that, either a hole in the ice, or melting snow. No more tap water for the girls.

Here are the girls on Day 10. The smallest of the 24 Carat is a runt, likely stunted a bit by her slow start and the nute screwup early on, and possibly destined for the compost pile if she does not perk up shortly. 24 Carat #2 is doing not bad, and Cosmic Queen continues to leave her sisters behind. CQ still shows a bit of taco on the new leaves, but I think that should sort itself out over the next few days of growth.

the girls.jpg

runt 24 carat.jpg

Better 24 Carat.jpg

Cosmic Queen - winner by far.jpg

Comments and advice welcome.

Happy growing all. :biggrin:

Last edited:
The smaller one does still seem upset by something, hopefully she perks up :thumbsup:
I'm sure the light adjustment will make them all a whole lot happier
Happy growing and :goodluck:

:pop: not sure how i missed this one, but what else is new & me here now :smoking: luv ur space & what u did with ur lightz...me luv diy :biggrin: due to space & a couple other issuez, me own light setup is a 3-way combo of cfl, t5 & reg household led bulbz like ur'z, uzin a couple of 6-socket vanity barz...my ques here would be how the heck do u get the globez off of the led bulbz-? do ya hafta break em off, or :confused1: ppp

:pop: not sure how i missed this one, but what else is new & me here now :smoking: luv ur space & what u did with ur lightz...me luv diy :biggrin: due to space & a couple other issuez, me own light setup is a 3-way combo of cfl, t5 & reg household led bulbz like ur'z, uzin a couple of 6-socket vanity barz...my ques here would be how the heck do u get the globez off of the led bulbz-? do ya hafta break em off, or :confused1: ppp

Hi and thanks for dropping by. The bulbs I used are Noma and Phillips, the shorter designs, both rated at 15 actual watts (slightly understated, they are closer to 17). The longer designs of similar wattage do not work as well because the led's are not pointed down, most of them point sideways relative to the screw mount. The globes on the ones I used are plastic, and I got them off intact by loosening the glue joint a bit with a knife edge, and then just popping them off. Slick and easy.

The smaller one does still seem upset by something, hopefully she perks up :thumbsup:
I'm sure the light adjustment will make them all a whole lot happier
Happy growing and :goodluck:
Hi, and thanks for looking in. I will be watching the runt for a few more days to see if she gets moving, but if she doesn't, I have more seeds. A couple week setback would be better than wasting a lot of time and effort on a dud. I am sure that the problem with the early growth is my fault due to the nute foul up. It had a slightly slow start, but I don't think that was the real issue. Anyway, we shall see.

I how have about 50 gallons or so of EC 26 lake water in the basement, so I will be good for a while. No more nute screwups! :biggrin:

Hi and thanks for dropping by. The bulbs I used are Noma and Phillips, the shorter designs, both rated at 15 actual watts (slightly understated, they are closer to 17). The longer designs of similar wattage do not work as well because the led's are not pointed down, most of them point sideways relative to the screw mount. The globes on the ones I used are plastic, and I got them off intact by loosening the glue joint a bit with a knife edge, and then just popping them off. Slick and easy.

hmmm, so a glue seal is all that holdz them thingz on there-? thx, i'll hafta give it a go :thumbsup: all mine are the good ol' great value walfart kind, fwiw :shrug: ppp

Back