New Grower New member, new grow. Mephisto Cosmic Queen and Mephisto 24 Carat

hmmm, so a glue seal is all that holdz them thingz on there-? thx, i'll hafta give it a go :thumbsup: all mine are the good ol' great value walfart kind, fwiw :shrug: ppp
Give it a try on one, but the globes are almost certainly plastic, and should come off if you loosen the joint a bit. OTOH, I have seen posts about the need to break glass globes on some bulbs. None of the ones I have fiddled with are glass. I now have a pile of empty globes for mixing epoxy in.

Just do one for starters to confirm that the leds are pointed at your plants. If they are mostly pointed sideways, your best bet may be to leave the globes on and use reflectors. Good luck with it. :cheers:

Retired on Vancouver Island here. Going to follow and see how your setup produces. IF it isn't too difficult to vent outside, you may want to do that. Have patience with your babies is the advise i give to myself. Link below to my journal of NL's now on their 4th week. My first indoor grow.

Retired on Vancouver Island here. Going to follow and see how your setup produces. IF it isn't too difficult to vent outside, you may want to do that. Have patience with your babies is the advise i give to myself. Link below to my journal of NL's now on their 4th week. My first indoor grow.

Hi Kyote,

Glad that you climbed aboard, and to see another elder join the community here. Pretty friendly place this, lots of good advice and support when needed.

Re. venting, it is dead easy and already set up. I will do it if I need to, but not unless odour becomes a problem. The humidity will be a good thing, not bad, the indoor humidity up here is too low anyway. I may have to humidify even during flowering to keep things on target for VPD. We shall see.

I will do an update shortly, but the girls are doing fine, including the runt who has perked up enough to avoid the compost pile for now.

Hi Kyote,

Glad that you climbed aboard, and to see another elder join the community here. Pretty friendly place this, lots of good advice and support when needed.

Re. venting, it is dead easy and already set up. I will do it if I need to, but not unless odour becomes a problem. The humidity will be a good thing, not bad, the indoor humidity up here is too low anyway. I may have to humidify even during flowering to keep things on target for VPD. We shall see.

I will do an update shortly, but the girls are doing fine, including the runt who has perked up enough to avoid the compost pile for now.

Oh right. If i still lived in the Okanogan I wouldn't be concerned about venting. I only grew medicine outdoors there. After moving to the island in August, thought I'd better figure out this indoor grow process.

And yes this is a good forum. I like seeing the creativity of others in their setups and approaches to growing. :growing:

Day 15 update with pics
Hello all. The girls are doing fine, more on that later. First a couple issues/lessons learned since day 10.

Lesson #1 - CQ was still showing signs of what I figured might be light stress after raising the lights significantly, so I decided to check things. Turned out that the runoff from a nute application was over EC2700 on CQ but not on the two 24C's. It seems that I screwed up a Cal Mag mix on the CQ which got transplanted first. Anyway I figured the slight cupping might have been due to EC stress Instead of too muh light, so I did a couple flushes with nute solution, and a few gallons later, runoff is down to ~1000, so I am happier. CQ still shows a bit of leaf cupping and possibly a hint of nute burn, but unless one of you grow gurus suggests otherwise I will continue for a few days to see what happens once she gets a chance to settle down.

Lesson #2 - New pH meter died. Should have taken the advice elsewhere to just suck it up and get an Apera in the first place. OTOH, the defective unit is headed back to Amazon at zero financial cost to me, and a new Apera is on its way for early next week. In the meantime, the pH drops will keep me out of trouble for a few days.

These are the girls on Day 15:

the girls on day 15.jpg

She who has escaped the compost pile for now. :biggrin::

24 Carat #1, the runt of the litter.jpg

The second 24C:

24 Carat #2.jpg

The CQ:

Cosmic Queen.jpg

The 24C's seem ok for now to my noob eye, but the CQ may still have an issue with the light, or EC, or nutes, or all of the above. CQ is nonetheless going to be quite the bush if I don't manage to kill her first. :biggrin: If there is anything I should do other than give her a few days to settle down, I am all ears.

Not a lot of height yet especially on the 24Cs. Maybe too much light initially? Maybe the spectrum of the plugin bulbs? The early nute screwup? It will be interesting to see whether they get a move on over the next week or two.

Happy growing everyone.

Looks like you've got it all figured out :thumbsup:
Small one is growing nice, healthy, new leaves
And cq is looking much happier today
Happy growing and :goodluck:

Day 20 with pics
Well, here we are at Day 20, and I haven't managed to kill them yet - still lots of time I know...

CQ was topped on day 16, training of her started on Day 17, and the autopot reservoir was turned on for everybody on Day 18. CQ earlier had yet another 2+gallon flush with nute mix to try to get the runoff in spec. Leaf damage from the earlier mixup is now obvious, but the new growth seems healthy, and there is lots of it. The 24 Carats are both doing fine, and will not have their heads removed like their bigger sister. There might be two 24 Carat phenos there, but OTOH, there might just have been two variations on noob mistakes. Time may tell...

Anyway, here are the girls on Day 20:

The girls on Day20.jpg

The smaller 24 Carat, formerly the "runt", still smaller, but starting to boogie:

Smaller 24 Carat.jpg

The larger 24 Carat, seriously in boogie mode now, almost overtaking the CQ.

Larger 24 Carat.jpg

And the Cosmic Queen, still trying to make her mind up about all this topping and training stuff:

Cosmic Queen.jpg

since the last update, I have more or less concluded that I have had the lights too low from the beginning. Internodes on all plants are very tight, and I have had a bit of leaf cupping on the CQ that I have been trying to chase down the whole time. Figuring things out has been hard because of the nute screwup which could have been much of the problem. Anyway, they are all on the autopot reservoir at ~925 EC, and the new growth seems happy, so maybe we are back on track. Keeping some air moving in the canopy may prove to be a challenge the way they are bushing out. Maybe ok once they really get stretching if they do, but I think perhaps the snippers will have to come out.

As always, advice will be received gratefully. Bring it on, I have a thick skin. :biggrin:

Looking good :thumbsup: 24c is heavy indica,so may not stretch a lot.early issues sorted:coffee:
Good luck n keep er lit
:pighug:

Looking good :thumbsup: 24c is heavy indica,so may not stretch a lot.early issues sorted:coffee:
Good luck n keep er lit
:pighug:
[/QUO

Thanks for the feedback. It will be interesting to see what the ladies get up to over the next week or so. They seem about to enter explode mode.

Back