Questions about seeds from a hermie plant

Stilg7

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Hello, everyone I'm about to start a grow and I have a few questions about what seeds I should use. Currently I only have a few autos from MSNL (Critical Thunder, AK47, Grand Daddy Purple and Tangerine Dream), 10x Mephisto freebie Cookie Monster (Samsquanch OG x Forum Stomper) and about a dozen seeds I have that came from a plant that herm'd in my tent a few grows ago. I haven't ran many Meph seeds in my short growing experience but I seem to have hit or miss results with MSNL's autos. That's why I decided to buy a couple Meph strains in the first place. I'm leaning toward growing the CMs but it's been a while since my last grow so I've been considering the herm seeds.

I typically grow exclusively in coco but a few grows ago I decided to try organic soil. I ran Meph's strains Double Grape and Pink Panama. Needless to say the grow didn't go all that well and the PP herm'd. The three DG I grew ended up producing several seeds and the PP produced quite a bit of em. Now I've read that herm seeds can have the herm genetic passed down and make them more prone to herm again. I've also read that, that isn't always the case as long as the plants aren't stressed again. I don't mind either way because like I said before I would rather grow Meph seeds than the MSNL ones because of my track record with them and I want to save my CM freebies until I get another grow under my belt before I get back into consecutive grows. That and the bud that came from the herm grow all though not the best, still better than the worst I've grown from MSNL autos.

With that said, would the DG seeds produced from the herm'd PP have both plant's genetics? And the PP seeds would only have PP genetics? If I grew the DG seeds, would it be a good idea to grow a few CMs with them as well? This way if the DG plants happen to herm I would get the same results and possiby have a way to sustain my seed collection? Would the DG seeds have inferior genetics and not yield as much or be as potent?

If someone would answer those questions for me I'd greatly appreciate it. That and if anyone has anything they want to add I'm all ears. It's always fun learning about this amazing plant!

With that said, would the DG seeds produced from the herm'd PP have both plant's genetics? Yes
PP seeds would only have PP genetics? Correct, but could still have phenotypical variations.
If I grew the DG seeds, would it be a good idea to grow a few CMs with them as well? sustain my seed collection? Don't see an issue with that, just keep an eye out for nanners and if you see them and wanted to keep it, the herm would pollinate the others.
Would the DG seeds have inferior genetics and not yield as much or be as potent? Any seeded buds you try to smoke will be less potent, but otherwise the DG seeds should perform normally (minus possible nanners).

If it's a couple seeds per plant then it's most likely self pollenated from stress and the seeds will be fine. A full on herm plant will produce lots of seeds. If you don't plan of breeding with them I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have grown the SAMxFS before and it's :fire:, if you like the sugar cookie taste

With that said, would the DG seeds produced from the herm'd PP have both plant's genetics? Yes
PP seeds would only have PP genetics? Correct, but could still have phenotypical variations.
If I grew the DG seeds, would it be a good idea to grow a few CMs with them as well? sustain my seed collection? Don't see an issue with that, just keep an eye out for nanners and if you see them and wanted to keep it, the herm would pollinate the others.
Would the DG seeds have inferior genetics and not yield as much or be as potent? Any seeded buds you try to smoke will be less potent, but otherwise the DG seeds should perform normally (minus possible nanners).
Thanks for the quick response and answering my questions.

With the DG seeds having some of the PP genetics would that mean I would have a different strain all together or just a possibility of that happening? Also, if the DG seeds were to herm and throw a couple bananas would that be ok? Or would more bananas mean that the plant is losing potency? If I did decide to put some CMs in with the DGs in hopes that the DGs would produce some bananas to pollinate the CMs would that cause the seeds it would produce to have too many different genes and make those seeds unstable?

Sorry if some of my questions are ignorant or elementary but I would just like to understand a little more.

If it's a couple seeds per plant then it's most likely self pollenated from stress and the seeds will be fine. A full on herm plant will produce lots of seeds. If you don't plan of breeding with them I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have grown the SAMxFS before and it's :fire:, if you like the sugar cookie taste
The PP was the one that herm'd and pollinated the DGs, at least that's what I believe. The DGs didn't have any bananas. But the one PP plant did produce quite a bit of seeds, somewhere around 50 or so. I figured because the PP herm'd and had the bananas it was just easier for it to pollinate itself. So if that happens again and I'm noticing too many seeds forming I should scrap that plant? Or just leave it in the tent if I want to use it to pollinate whatever else is in there and then probably discard the plant because it will have significantly weaker potency?

I was a little bummed out when both of my freebies were CM but the more I've read it seems to be one of the more popular freebies. If you grow in coco do you have any advice for when I do decide to grow em? Thanks for your response much appreciated.

With the DG seeds having some of the PP genetics would that mean I would have a different strain all together or just a possibility of that happening? New strain (PPxDG) with possible hermy trait.
Also, if the DG seeds were to herm and throw a couple bananas would that be ok? Or would more bananas mean that the plant is losing potency? Ok if you're wanting to pollinate. No potency lost on a plant throwing a few nanners.
If I did decide to put some CMs in with the DGs in hopes that the DGs would produce some bananas to pollinate the CMs would that cause the seeds it would produce to have too many different genes and make those seeds unstable? Possible potency difference, but that's because it's a new cross, CMx(PPxDG).
So if that happens again and I'm noticing too many seeds forming I should scrap that plant? I wouldn't scrap, but if a few nanners turn into 30, I'd toss it.
Or just leave it in the tent if I want to use it to pollinate whatever else is in there and then probably discard the plant because it will have significantly weaker potency? You could leave it in if there isn't too many nanners and wanted to pollinate, but if it starts throwing too many that would be an 'undesirable genetic trait.' It wouldn't haven't weaker potency, it'd have weaker genetics.

Back