Indoor Sweet Skunk Auto & Tangelo Rapido Auto - Kush's Low Budget Grow

Cfl will need to be closer, try 4 to 6 inches and watch them. You will find the sweet spot.

^Interesting, I have used this same CFL setup several times before and the sprouts never stretched as much as these two. Maybe my lights are losing their intensity, who knows.
I added an extra 45W light to increase the light output. It is a 2700K light, so now they are receiving the full light spectrum.
I will also listen to your advice and will put the lights a bit closer to the plants. Thanks for your help!

I hope that it helps. I bet the lights could be losing some intensity if they have a lot of hours on them.

^Yep, these CFL lights have been used on 4 grows already, including one tomato grow (I grow tomatoes too :)). I totally suspect they are no longer as bright as they used to be.

And we have our first problem - gnat infestation.
I am sick and tired of trying different soils only to find out that they all have gnat eggs in them.
I hope the plants will survive and will not get their delicate roots eaten by gnat larvae.

Time for the old potato slices trick. Will try to kill as many of those gnat bastards as I can before it's too late.

dang sorry to hear your woes,i know didly bout bugs never had them.tons of info on plant problems,and an infirmary section for specialized help.
holler if you need a hand,good luck.
:pighug:

Thanks, man. I will fight this problem to the best of my abilities.
First I will try the old potato slices trick to attract any larvae out of the soil and get rid of them.
Then I will use white vinegar / dish soap solution to drown the grown up gnats.

I was going to ask before if you were letting the soil dry out enough between waterings. It looks very wet in all the pics.
Now that you have gnats let it dry out good before watering again for sure. They love when the soil stays wet for long periods of time.
You could try mosquito dunks too i think they are called. Ive seen alot of people use them with good results but ive never needed them myself, knock on wood.
I hope it works out for you.:pass::goodluck:

Last edited:
Here they are, almost 2 weeks old.
I lowered the lights even more. Now they are really close to the plants. This serves two purposes:
1. It gives the plans more light
2. It helps the top layer of the soil dry out faster, which in turn helps me fight the gnats.

@Smorf was right - the gnats like wet soil and mine is on the wet side. At one point there was even a small fucking mushroom growing in my soil. I think it was an ink cap. Wish it was a Psilo Cube.:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_20171013_190332.jpg
    IMG_20171013_190332.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 80
Here they are at 2+ weeks old...
They are very SMALL and barely have a second set of leaves showing. Also, they are yellowish and have drooping leaves.
I suspect that their roots have a very hard time penetrating the Jiffy membrane and this leads to them starving for nutrients, because the Jiffy's coco choir is non-nutritious. I even dug out half of one of the JIffy's to check and there were no any roots showing...
I wonder what the fuck is going on. Just watered them with worm castings tea in an attempt to feed them. Hope they will take off sooner than later, but if they don't show any improvement in the next few days, I will take them out of the JIffy's and will transplant them in new soil (hopefully one that is gnat-free too).
I just don't want to end up with two runts like I did with my previous grow.

Attachments

• IMG_20171017_204703.jpg
    IMG_20171017_204703.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20171017_204717.jpg
    IMG_20171017_204717.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20171017_204745.jpg
    IMG_20171017_204745.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 76
Back