New Grower A lucky start to this process, to say the least!

Reaction score
Hey y'all! I wanted to post for the first time to share my first grow experience that I started just after the turn of the new year, it is something I have always told myself I couldn't do (I'm awful with plants).
Today is day 14 in soil, the end of the second week - my specs are nothing spectacular, but not too shabby!
- Northern Lights AF seed
- 2x2x4 tent with 300W Viparspectra led light
- 5-gal Vivosun fabric pot with Fox Farm Happy Frog soil, I mixed in ~2 cups of extra perlite and 4TB Dr Earth all purpose 444, 3TB Dr Earth bud & bloom 394

For germination, I used the paper towel method and the taproot was over an inch long before I could blink, swear to god. My line of thought with the nutrients was that I didn't want to mix in the entire recommended dosage, as there were already some nutrients in the soil and I was scared to spawn kill my seedling.
The third day after he came through the soil, he was already like 3-4 inches tall! I took his legginess as a sign that I needed to lower the light, which had been towering about 3 feet above the poor guy, so used some hangers and suspended the light about 18 inches above the pot, where it resides on for 16-18 hours and off 6-8 hours.
Besides that, now at the end of week 2, the only other (known) problems that I have encountered have been yellowing by the stems of the leaves. After some reading, I think it might be either 1) over watering 2) incorrect water pH (I use brita filtered water) 3) lack of proper ventilation system
I have a Vivosun ppm and pH tester coming my way as well as a baby monitor, and I am currently looking into constructing an air system consisting of two fans, some ducting, and a carbon air filter.
This is a super cool experience so far, and I would love feedback on what I could do better, or possible things to switch up for these next couple weeks before he starts to flower! The picture on the left is from day 7, and the one on the right is from today, day 14

Attachments

• 1.2.JPG
    1.2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
I have heard sometimes ff soils can be a bit hot and burn seedlings but I have never used it and I've seen nice plants grown in it for sure. Doesn't look too bad at this stage and this is the place to be to start out. I wish I had been here when I started inside or it existed when there was barely any Internet and I got any new information from high Times. Would've got me to where I want to be way faster with less mistakes. It every mistake is a chance to learn a lesson so I would say just don't stress and have fun with it its a super rewarding experience and pass time. Good luck with things I am sure things will go good made a great decision joining and posting to get advice and help from some of the knowledgeable and experienced people here.

I have heard sometimes ff soils can be a bit hot and burn seedlings but I have never used it and I've seen nice plants grown in it for sure. Doesn't look too bad at this stage and this is the place to be to start out. I wish I had been here when I started inside or it existed when there was barely any Internet and I got any new information from high Times. Would've got me to where I want to be way faster with less mistakes. It every mistake is a chance to learn a lesson so I would say just don't stress and have fun with it its a super rewarding experience and pass time. Good luck with things I am sure things will go good made a great decision joining and posting to get advice and help from some of the knowledgeable and experienced people here.
Thank you for that!! I will monitor the soil more closely and see if I can make the seedling more comfortable- I am just amazed by the process so far and I love continuing to learn more and more, I am very happy to be here :baby:

Back