Kevinm117

New User
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time growing any kind of weed, I built my own grow room from plywood. It is very primitive looking, I know, and is way too big because I didn't know exactly how tall they would grow.

I used bagged soil mixed with homemade compost from worm castings and perlite. My soil was stored in a rather hot area and grew some mould so I let it dry completely first but once I planted the seeds some white cottony mould formed in the soil which later disappeared. I also find some kind of tiny insects running around on the soil which seem harmless, maybe even beneficial. (possibly from the organic compost?)

I flushed the soil with some nutrients before germination and only watered them with more nutes once flowering began.

I use 2 LED dome spot lights and 2 Fluorescent tubes which is mostly recycled reptile enclosure equipment. Max temperature 30C minimum 20, humidity constant 65% and 2 USB fans for air circulation. Since the flowering has started I have turned on a dehumidifier in the room. I used no method of training apart from bending the leaves very slightly to not cast shade over each other.

I chose to setup like this because to get a proper grow tent, ventilation and dedicated LED grow lights would have cost me 1000 euros or more.

I am using fat banana automatic purchased from Royal Queen seeds. My plants have remained dwarfs, barely growing up to a foot in height. Now the pistils have started to emerge from the nodes, Assuming the plants will not grow any larger and will focus on producing the buds. Will I get a decent yield out of this and can anyone point out anything that might have stunted the growth or is it normal for this strain to remain this size? Any criticism and information is highly appreciated, Thanks!

Screenshot_2020-10-16-07-09-04-349_com.android.chrome.jpg
IMG_20201015_180356.jpg
IMG_20201015_180500.jpg
Screenshot_2020-10-16-07-09-04-349_com.android.chrome.jpg
IMG_20201015_180422.jpg
IMG_20201015_180422.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_180217.jpg
    IMG_20201015_180217.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20201015_180446.jpg
    IMG_20201015_180446.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
@Kevinm117 :welcome:Welcome to AFN :welcome:Your girls are just showing you they are girls Flowering should begin in a week or two and then flower for 4 or more weeks. They will grow much more from where they are today. I am not familiar with the lights you are running but based on the good looking green plants in your pictures they are a daylight spectrum?

Well done. Carry on :toke:

@Kevinm117 :welcome:Welcome to AFN :welcome:Your girls are just showing you they are girls Flowering should begin in a week or two and then flower for 4 or more weeks. They will grow much more from where they are today. I am not familiar with the lights you are running but based on the good looking green plants in your pictures they are a daylight spectrum?

Well done. Carry on :toke:

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Hardware store workers here don't need to know that kind of info on spectrums so I didn't bother asking as they would not be helpful. I just bought the brightest LEDs possible. Im aware the veg stage requires red and flowering blue spectrums but I will keep my set up as is, I'm sure they will be fine.

So they will continue growing? I thought since flowering started, growth will stop to focus on producing dank nuggets.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Hardware store workers here don't need to know that kind of info on spectrums so I didn't bother asking as they would not be helpful. I just bought the brightest LEDs possible. Im aware the veg stage requires red and flowering blue spectrums but I will keep my set up as is, I'm sure they will be fine.

So they will continue growing? I thought since flowering started, growth will stop to focus on producing dank nuggets.
Reverse that more blue in Veg added red in Flower. The plants can double, triple or more in size from where you are now. I would think you have plenty of blue but you might want to add some red when you can to flower. Don't know if you have access to this but you can always build one with parts.

Red Puck.jpg
This is from RapidLed.com

Reverse that more blue in Veg added red in Flower. The plants can double, triple or more in size from where you are now. I would think you have plenty of blue but you might want to add some red when you can to flower. Don't know if you have access to this but you can always build one with parts.

View attachment 1243628 This is from RapidLed.com
I have added a red light bulb which also for reptile use. But it emits a lot of heat and barely any light, is it even having any effect the way I have set it up? Perhaps I can leave it on during the dark period as I gave them a 18/6 light schedule.
IMG_20201019_094332.jpg

I have added a red light bulb which also for reptile use. But it emits a lot of heat and barely any light, is it even having any effect the way I have set it up? Perhaps I can leave it on during the dark period as I gave them a 18/6 light schedule.
View attachment 1244476
That is an InfraRed Light I would not run it during lights off.

Hi, this is my first time growing any kind of weed, I built my own grow room from plywood. It is very primitive looking, I know, and is way too big because I didn't know exactly how tall they would grow.

I used bagged soil mixed with homemade compost from worm castings and perlite. My soil was stored in a rather hot area and grew some mould so I let it dry completely first but once I planted the seeds some white cottony mould formed in the soil which later disappeared. I also find some kind of tiny insects running around on the soil which seem harmless, maybe even beneficial. (possibly from the organic compost?)

I flushed the soil with some nutrients before germination and only watered them with more nutes once flowering began.

I use 2 LED dome spot lights and 2 Fluorescent tubes which is mostly recycled reptile enclosure equipment. Max temperature 30C minimum 20, humidity constant 65% and 2 USB fans for air circulation. Since the flowering has started I have turned on a dehumidifier in the room. I used no method of training apart from bending the leaves very slightly to not cast shade over each other.

I chose to setup like this because to get a proper grow tent, ventilation and dedicated LED grow lights would have cost me 1000 euros or more.

I am using fat banana automatic purchased from Royal Queen seeds. My plants have remained dwarfs, barely growing up to a foot in height. Now the pistils have started to emerge from the nodes, Assuming the plants will not grow any larger and will focus on producing the buds. Will I get a decent yield out of this and can anyone point out anything that might have stunted the growth or is it normal for this strain to remain this size? Any criticism and information is highly appreciated, Thanks!

View attachment 1243465View attachment 1243463View attachment 1243464View attachment 1243465View attachment 1243471View attachment 1243471

That's a lot going on!

Kudos on building your own grow room though. A few questions for you.

Are you familiar with VPD or Vapor Pressure Deficit? You may not need to run your dehumidifier yet or at all.

You'll need an IR thermometer to measure leaf temperature but staying in those kpa ranges will yield great results.

What is the cfm of your extraction fan? You'll want to replace the air 1-5 times per minute.

You will need to get proper lighting at some point but that IR bulb is more appropriate to run after the lights go out and before they come on for 5-15 minutes once flowering begins. It isn't really necessary though.

What size is your space? DIY lighting is a cheaper solution if your area comfortable working with wiring.

What is your lighting budget? There are options for many price ranges with differing quality.

3-4000k spectrum is perfectly fine to use from seed to harvest. In veg, more blue will reduce

They are going to begin stretching first for two to three weeks before flowering really gets going. Imo, treating that time like veg will get you more growth for more bud later.

You could super crop or pony tail them from the 3rd or 4th node to encourage branching. At this point you're seeing pre flowers.

Back