New Grower First grow, rocky start, help me hone in and finish strong. 7(?) White Widows/ 1 GSC

Faceoff_one

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Well ladies and gentlemen, I suggest you fasten your seatbelts, because this trains a rollin and it ain’t uh stoppin.
It doesn’t matter why but essentially I’ve been left to my own devices with a novice, yet decent and completely adequate grow room. This is my complete noob opinion and I look forward to the reality check that awaits.
I’m gonna try and lay out everything for y’all but bare with me because as I said I’m new and I was not involved in the purchasing of ANYTHING pre grow.

I have a Mars Hydro Cree 256 in a 4x4x8 over 10 3 gal soft(?) pots. The soil used was Fox Farms Ocean Forest. There is a 12” oscillating fan blowing above the plants. I have a smaller 9” box fan above the light but it’s currently off because I am experiencing unusually cold weather where I am. It has been a relief to not have to worry about things getting too hot. I also have a humidifier in there on high most of the time. Might even need to get a second one because even with it I’m barely hitting 50%.

Temp and humidity is being taken in two different places within the tent one else with the plants one level with the carbon filter. Carbon filter inside 6” AC infinity inline running outside(4’ duct between )about 10-12’ of duct through the attic to a vent thing.

i am pretty positive that I was overwatering the plants the first 10 days or so. I was obsessing over them. When the tent was initially set up the light was at about 30 something inches and the seeds were germed in soil. 5 out of 10 of those sprouted, all of them White Widow. Not sure the source unfortunately. 4/5 are doing good I think, probably undersized though. The 5th I stupidly let the shell stay on for like a week lol. I read it’ll take care of it on its own which probably would have happened if the humidity was higher. Soil was drying out constantly. I finally took it off and the lead it was covering is not dead but doesn’t look great. I have some pics.

I started another round of germ. Myself using paper towel. 4 more WW and 1GSC. All popped but I didn’t let the tails get long enough on the WW but the GSC is looking like a potential champ. I can be more specific with dates Tomorrow as well as detail the rest of the equipment available, Nutes, watering schedule, and of course any and all questions, comments, and concerns are more than welcome. I was hesitant to take this on because I know i will go all in and maybe that’s not a bad thing. Idk. I’ve already started coming out of my own pocket pretty frequently to give theses babies a fight change.

anyways, I know I rambled quite a bit there if you made it this far thanks for reading and nice to meet you I’m, Faceoff.

have had the grow light on 24/0 until like two days ago which would be 15 days since seed hit soil un germed. Have switched it off for a few hours at night and will be getting a timer to run 20/4. I like the BN LINK 7 day heavy duty outdoor dual outlet, or the 8 outlet surge protector/mechanical timer. I want the latter and have more lights to run so might be handy?? Please advise

and finally the reason I had to stay up so late to post is because I put some Saran Wrap over a pot whose seed case was stuck On as well. This was a pot of a seed that was planted and didn’t do anything. Well I never got the seed out and now ive got 2 seedling in 1 pot. Pics posted of them. How do I handle this?

okay I think I’m out for now. Oh yeah no Nutes have been given. Thinking I need to probably serve some up tomorrow? CalMag? Please advise. Was giving them tap I let sit out for a day or two up until day 14 and then I started to ph balance the water and will continue to do so.

Attachments

• A279A894-3406-458B-B7C2-7C31DA0A0718.jpeg
    A279A894-3406-458B-B7C2-7C31DA0A0718.jpeg
    772 KB · Views: 95
  • D8719B02-C214-41B9-9679-2FB38D678BCF.jpeg
    D8719B02-C214-41B9-9679-2FB38D678BCF.jpeg
    752.9 KB · Views: 91
  • E7245475-6C4D-4799-A1E0-2544C94E4858.jpeg
    E7245475-6C4D-4799-A1E0-2544C94E4858.jpeg
    855 KB · Views: 89
  • 1C43743B-8AD2-4A88-8639-8404B6E79F50.jpeg
    1C43743B-8AD2-4A88-8639-8404B6E79F50.jpeg
    800.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 67DEDA4E-C31B-4A3E-9960-3E30B2812F7B.jpeg
    67DEDA4E-C31B-4A3E-9960-3E30B2812F7B.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 2BC22392-349A-4373-8FCC-13ABA738DFA6.jpeg
    2BC22392-349A-4373-8FCC-13ABA738DFA6.jpeg
    938.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 46CCF1C6-2C11-4FA6-9DAD-FC6823AD499A.jpeg
    46CCF1C6-2C11-4FA6-9DAD-FC6823AD499A.jpeg
    938.4 KB · Views: 90
  • D9A8EDA4-1F49-4A17-BCED-DD4793EB7D3A.jpeg
    D9A8EDA4-1F49-4A17-BCED-DD4793EB7D3A.jpeg
    587.7 KB · Views: 88
  • CE7AA36D-9BD1-4FA7-9911-3FA667F6D786.jpeg
    CE7AA36D-9BD1-4FA7-9911-3FA667F6D786.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 56E5D9D6-0A41-487A-90EC-7DE7A9383E54.jpeg
    56E5D9D6-0A41-487A-90EC-7DE7A9383E54.jpeg
    784.3 KB · Views: 88
Well ladies and gentlemen, I suggest you fasten your seatbelts, because this trains a rollin and it ain’t uh stoppin.
It doesn’t matter why but essentially I’ve been left to my own devices with a novice, yet decent and completely adequate grow room. This is my complete noob opinion and I look forward to the reality check that awaits.
I’m gonna try and lay out everything for y’all but bare with me because as I said I’m new and I was not involved in the purchasing of ANYTHING pre grow.

I have a Mars Hydro Cree 256 in a 4x4x8 over 10 3 gal soft(?) pots. The soil used was Fox Farms Ocean Forest. There is a 12” oscillating fan blowing above the plants. I have a smaller 9” box fan above the light but it’s currently off because I am experiencing unusually cold weather where I am. It has been a relief to not have to worry about things getting too hot. I also have a humidifier in there on high most of the time. Might even need to get a second one because even with it I’m barely hitting 50%.

Temp and humidity is being taken in two different places within the tent one else with the plants one level with the carbon filter. Carbon filter inside 6” AC infinity inline running outside(4’ duct between )about 10-12’ of duct through the attic to a vent thing.

i am pretty positive that I was overwatering the plants the first 10 days or so. I was obsessing over them. When the tent was initially set up the light was at about 30 something inches and the seeds were germed in soil. 5 out of 10 of those sprouted, all of them White Widow. Not sure the source unfortunately. 4/5 are doing good I think, probably undersized though. The 5th I stupidly let the shell stay on for like a week lol. I read it’ll take care of it on its own which probably would have happened if the humidity was higher. Soil was drying out constantly. I finally took it off and the lead it was covering is not dead but doesn’t look great. I have some pics.

I started another round of germ. Myself using paper towel. 4 more WW and 1GSC. All popped but I didn’t let the tails get long enough on the WW but the GSC is looking like a potential champ. I can be more specific with dates Tomorrow as well as detail the rest of the equipment available, Nutes, watering schedule, and of course any and all questions, comments, and concerns are more than welcome. I was hesitant to take this on because I know i will go all in and maybe that’s not a bad thing. Idk. I’ve already started coming out of my own pocket pretty frequently to give theses babies a fight change.

anyways, I know I rambled quite a bit there if you made it this far thanks for reading and nice to meet you I’m, Faceoff.

have had the grow light on 24/0 until like two days ago which would be 15 days since seed hit soil un germed. Have switched it off for a few hours at night and will be getting a timer to run 20/4. I like the BN LINK 7 day heavy duty outdoor dual outlet, or the 8 outlet surge protector/mechanical timer. I want the latter and have more lights to run so might be handy?? Please advise

and finally the reason I had to stay up so late to post is because I put some Saran Wrap over a pot whose seed case was stuck On as well. This was a pot of a seed that was planted and didn’t do anything. Well I never got the seed out and now ive got 2 seedling in 1 pot. Pics posted of them. How do I handle this?

okay I think I’m out for now. Oh yeah no Nutes have been given. Thinking I need to probably serve some up tomorrow? CalMag? Please advise. Was giving them tap I let sit out for a day or two up until day 14 and then I started to ph balance the water and will continue to do so.

My first grow in soil I didn't use Cal/Mag and paid dearly for it. I have a Candy Kush going now that's 2 weeks old and just gave it 1/3 dose of Cal/Mag Pro mixed in well water ph'd to 6.5, and will up cal/mag a bit in 2 to 3 weeks. I'm growing this one in Pro Mix HP with 40% added perlite and using Mega Crop.

Few years ago I picked up an 8 plug digital timer with 4 plugs timed, 4 regular. Was around $30 on Amazon at the time. Works well.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable growers on here and a lot more helpful than me. :welcome: and have a good grow! :headbang:

Last edited:

They look pretty good. New also and started my babies around the same time. using ocean forest cut 50% with happy frog. Happy frog is suppose to be less hot.From what I’ve seen it’s come down to watering technique in the first few weeks. I wouldn’t worry about nutes until they start growing vigorouslyPlenty in the soil.

Your garden looks so so tidy, wish you have a great hravest from Mars Hydro Cree 256 :greenthumb: @me if you met any problem on this light:d5:

The soil used was Fox Farms Ocean Forest.
That is a hot soil and does not require nutes for the first 3-4 weeks. You want the pot to dry well in soil. Get used to lifting one side of pot with thumb and index finger to feel the weight. When the pot is light, then its time to water.

I went ahead and transplanted the rouge seed into its own 3 gal pot. This puts me at 6 White Widow Autos, 1 GSC Auto, and 1 unknown. The unknown is either one of the previously named or tangerine something.

Got my timer ordered which can’t get here soon enough( pictured below). The weather here is warm again so I have to turn the lights off anyways it just sucks having to work around that.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some tips for balancing PH of Nutes and soil? I’ve got the water down but trying to adjust the water containing Nutes is giving me trouble. Maybe I added them in the wrong order?

everything is going good otherwise. Looking like I’ll end up with 8 plants that go the distance. Maybe 9.

Attachments

• 39F4D080-F1B6-40BE-A1DA-9C24D4C36936.jpeg
    39F4D080-F1B6-40BE-A1DA-9C24D4C36936.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 63
Finally I have a chance to post some updates. I’m gonna upload pics of my recently bound babies and would love some feed back. I was rushing this morning and got sloppy. Fell over and kinda mangled one of my plants, I noticed an odor right after. Something stress induced? These lives are from earlier when right before I watered and the light had been off for a bit.

I will be taking more pics to post when I get home in a few hours. I gave them a half does of calmag and the GH Flora series. 1/4 of the flower one. First real feeding.

1 is my champ rn. 4 is the one I mangled and 5 was the one I let the seed shell stay on too long. Finally bouncing back.

will get some more pics up soon. Anyone who checks them out lmk if the quality is up to snuff. Especially the lighting and what not.

Attachments

• 9A3A2250-354E-4DEB-884B-78314130B84A.jpeg
    9A3A2250-354E-4DEB-884B-78314130B84A.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 79
  • A0F7AAC3-67D5-4564-A1ED-1BA70ABE5FF7.jpeg
    A0F7AAC3-67D5-4564-A1ED-1BA70ABE5FF7.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 85
  • A68640BF-812F-427D-B318-5EEA72C0966F.jpeg
    A68640BF-812F-427D-B318-5EEA72C0966F.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 78
  • BABE7CC3-F91C-4FA7-AABA-3CA056635204.jpeg
    BABE7CC3-F91C-4FA7-AABA-3CA056635204.jpeg
    526 KB · Views: 82
  • 70100AFF-E7ED-4741-BE8E-5A6803CCEA56.jpeg
    70100AFF-E7ED-4741-BE8E-5A6803CCEA56.jpeg
    785.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 78440223-A6D5-456C-A51A-AE8D76FAC676.jpeg
    78440223-A6D5-456C-A51A-AE8D76FAC676.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DD4575AF-18E1-4E07-AB1F-BE366CFBC03B.jpeg
    DD4575AF-18E1-4E07-AB1F-BE366CFBC03B.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 66
  • D9198C55-68F3-482A-822F-11E4BE8239DB.jpeg
    D9198C55-68F3-482A-822F-11E4BE8239DB.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 867F6DAE-B439-4F96-8887-3F12479B64A1.jpeg
    867F6DAE-B439-4F96-8887-3F12479B64A1.jpeg
    855.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DF4E31CC-E949-4BD0-B7B0-5D29ECCF2FF3.jpeg
    DF4E31CC-E949-4BD0-B7B0-5D29ECCF2FF3.jpeg
    542.1 KB · Views: 76
  • D78F97F6-09EB-437E-92F4-72F7B4D25F8A.jpeg
    D78F97F6-09EB-437E-92F4-72F7B4D25F8A.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 86
  • B5D64CA7-710B-497C-96D8-1E21BAEAF43D.jpeg
    B5D64CA7-710B-497C-96D8-1E21BAEAF43D.jpeg
    719.9 KB · Views: 83
  • EF4F318F-2E63-46FB-AED2-646D4AE66C18.jpeg
    EF4F318F-2E63-46FB-AED2-646D4AE66C18.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 79
  • 4617C6B3-3A0B-44F0-BF61-C80992910701.jpeg
    4617C6B3-3A0B-44F0-BF61-C80992910701.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 9A4CB874-81E5-4648-96D8-AED8813CDC32.jpeg
    9A4CB874-81E5-4648-96D8-AED8813CDC32.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 78
@growbot bro thank you for the suggestion on the ultrasonic humidifiers. I found one on OfferUp for 15 bucks and it has been a game changer. Haven’t had to put my inline above 5 since I’ve had it, humidity is consistently higher, temps cooler and this tank is big. The one you linked is next but I’m glad I have this in the meantime. Thanks again.

Finally got all 5 from the first group tied down and man it’s crazy to see how’s the grow. I gave them their first real feeding and most responded well but I think for plants 4 or 5 it was a bit to early. One looks to have been burned a bit.

I’m going to wait even longer for the second group because I still need to top of the pots and I have FFOF so that give them some right there.

Any feed back in how my plants are tied would be awesome. Not gonna lie I’m pretty much just freestyling it but most bends I make feel right so. Anyway, enjoy some pics.

Attachments

• 5B79A8B8-1E95-45D0-AA4C-F973D073C101.jpeg
    5B79A8B8-1E95-45D0-AA4C-F973D073C101.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DD0535E8-2B29-458F-B308-4CB1B75D7CF2.jpeg
    DD0535E8-2B29-458F-B308-4CB1B75D7CF2.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 9BEC68AF-908C-4410-BAEA-06CA481B3A53.jpeg
    9BEC68AF-908C-4410-BAEA-06CA481B3A53.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 3DD93383-194C-4D05-9B03-8C97ABF242FC.jpeg
    3DD93383-194C-4D05-9B03-8C97ABF242FC.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 45F64662-FFFB-4648-80D0-8F69577754E9.jpeg
    45F64662-FFFB-4648-80D0-8F69577754E9.jpeg
    714.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 5BBD7144-791E-446E-9F77-44373A8510FC.jpeg
    5BBD7144-791E-446E-9F77-44373A8510FC.jpeg
    658.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 231F2556-3BA9-469D-8B82-4327D47AA676.jpeg
    231F2556-3BA9-469D-8B82-4327D47AA676.jpeg
    658.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 2C440EBC-85D7-44D5-A9A5-C298D6A8F77E.jpeg
    2C440EBC-85D7-44D5-A9A5-C298D6A8F77E.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 65
  • E0B8A10C-0837-4D65-BB19-9F7A9C210918.jpeg
    E0B8A10C-0837-4D65-BB19-9F7A9C210918.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 70
  • BEB84C9C-6624-4CE5-BAB6-D9E0818B0F51.jpeg
    BEB84C9C-6624-4CE5-BAB6-D9E0818B0F51.jpeg
    534.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 18E693DF-61A8-4B74-81DD-05AB181799D0.jpeg
    18E693DF-61A8-4B74-81DD-05AB181799D0.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 61
@growbot bro thank you for the suggestion on the ultrasonic humidifiers. I found one on OfferUp for 15 bucks and it has been a game changer. Haven’t had to put my inline above 5 since I’ve had it, humidity is consistently higher, temps cooler and this tank is big. The one you linked is next but I’m glad I have this in the meantime. Thanks again.

Finally got all 5 from the first group tied down and man it’s crazy to see how’s the grow. I gave them their first real feeding and most responded well but I think for plants 4 or 5 it was a bit to early. One looks to have been burned a bit.

I’m going to wait even longer for the second group because I still need to top of the pots and I have FFOF so that give them some right there.

Any feed back in how my plants are tied would be awesome. Not gonna lie I’m pretty much just freestyling it but most bends I make feel right so. Anyway, enjoy some pics.

Looking good ! Glad all my "learning the hard way" is useful :D. The one downside on those humidifiers is that they can leave (light) mineral deposits on stuff (I have very hard water) but it's better than having to deal with wet towels that get moldy and those swamp cooler type humidifiers with the brown mats ( mine grew black mold and thats when I tossed them for ultrasonics). I'll keep peeping this thread, wanna see how they turn out !

Back