Hextractor 1500 press/enail test by budelee

We're pressing at 185 F for flower and loving it. My buddy wants me to drop 10 or 20 degrees (for flower) but I think that's getting a bit light. We'll try it though. Long press, pressing 2 1/2 minutes.
I'll drop temps for todays pressing.. do you need to increase the time when you drop the temp( in your experience)??

I'll drop temps for todays pressing.. do you need to increase the time when you drop the temp( in your experience)??

This is coming from limited experience with it but it seems to stand to reason as you drop the temp, you'd increase press time as compensation. Cooler temp, longer press. From what I read the hotter temps will flow out more oil, but it will be darker and less taste (and this is definitely true, we do multiple presses on the same pucks and every press the rosin is darker until it's almost a dark, dark color, and we've collected it separately and it's definitely a more harsh hit compared to the light press, and the taste is just not there. We're going for quality, not quantity, but not everyone's needs are obviously the same. I'm curious if pressing in a colder environment would have any effect on the outcome, or the source of the heat of the plates just doesn't matter when it comes to environment. I can attest room temperature makes all the difference in how rosin scrapes up lol, was just gooey honey last night in my hot house. Kicked on the AC for a bit, came back, came up in beautiful strips.

This is coming from limited experience with it but it seems to stand to reason as you drop the temp, you'd increase press time as compensation. Cooler temp, longer press. From what I read the hotter temps will flow out more oil, but it will be darker and less taste (and this is definitely true, we do multiple presses on the same pucks and every press the rosin is darker until it's almost a dark, dark color, and we've collected it separately and it's definitely a more harsh hit compared to the light press, and the taste is just not there. We're going for quality, not quantity, but not everyone's needs are obviously the same. I'm curious if pressing in a colder environment would have any effect on the outcome, or the source of the heat of the plates just doesn't matter when it comes to environment. I can attest room temperature makes all the difference in how rosin scrapes up lol, was just gooey honey last night in my hot house. Kicked on the AC for a bit, came back, came up in beautiful strips.
Yup makes sense.. here's my thought.. with this unit, even at the 200-230 temps ive been using, there is still visible oil on the puck, the pucks are only about .5 gram, so the unit is good for a head stash but prollly not a full party.. point being, i will try the lower temp and longer times, im not so sure the 1500 psi is steong enough to get the oil out, but we shall see.. gonna post pics of yesterdays haul

IMG_8652.JPG
IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG
IMG_8655.JPG
IMG_8656.JPG

I see no sense in weighing the return.. i get it that some strains may have a better return, i have tried a dew different strains and temps and have accepted this to be about the average return.. if clean no-chem ros is what you are after, this is the way to go!!!!

psi is initially measured or calibrated in a vacumn or at sea level,cant remember long time since i was at school.
so it could be your altitude that is messing with the pressure ?
:pighug:

Yup makes sense.. here's my thought.. with this unit, even at the 200-230 temps ive been using, there is still visible oil on the puck, the pucks are only about .5 gram, so the unit is good for a head stash but prollly not a full party.. point being, i will try the lower temp and longer times, im not so sure the 1500 psi is steong enough to get the oil out, but we shall see.. gonna post pics of yesterdays haul

I feel you with the room temp. Noticeably harder collecting the rosin in my little back room during the summer, even with using my cold press (cast iron tortilla press stored in the freezer until time to use) to cool down the packets before scraping. Just so warm in the room that it all turns to sticky goop on me instantly lately it seems. I need to do some lower temp pressing testing myself.

giphy.gif

psi is initially measured or calibrated in a vacumn or at sea level,cant remember long time since i was at school.
so it could be your altitude that is messing with the pressure ?
:pighug:
Hmmm thats interesting!!! Bee nail is from my area so hopefully thats something they took into consideration... awesome, keep the info comin guys, much appreciated!!

I would think that a pressure meter's calibration wouldn't really change much with altitude. 1500psi inside a closed system is still the same regardless of altitude. The pump pressurizing the system would have to work harder at higher altitudes to create the same pressure due to thinner air to work with. So if a device is set to just run a pump at a certain power level, then it could be creating less pressure but hard to say if it would be different enough to make a huge difference. If it's got something to measure the pressure and run a pump until said pressure is achieved that would be different. *shrug* rambling on now so I'll shaddup

Anyhow....if someone has oodles and oodles of cash lying around and wanted to see what really, REALLY high pressure pressing could do....I'm seeing that NewVape has out a 100TON press setup now. Yes, that's two zeros.....ONE HUNDRED TON!!!
:holymoly:
micro_100_ton_rosin_press_2994-8.jpg

I would think that a pressure meter's calibration wouldn't really change much with altitude. 1500psi inside a closed system is still the same regardless of altitude. The pump pressurizing the system would have to work harder at higher altitudes to create the same pressure due to thinner air to work with. So if a device is set to just run a pump at a certain power level, then it could be creating less pressure but hard to say if it would be different enough to make a huge difference. If it's got something to measure the pressure and run a pump until said pressure is achieved that would be different. *shrug* rambling on now so I'll shaddup

Anyhow....if someone has oodles and oodles of cash lying around and wanted to see what really, REALLY high pressure pressing could do....I'm seeing that NewVape has out a 100TON press setup now. Yes, that's two zeros.....ONE HUNDRED TON!!!
:holymoly:
micro_100_ton_rosin_press_2994-8.jpg

I've been told several times I cannot press hot sandwiches in my rosin press. Sigh...

Dudes I used to make upvc Windows and the bits of profile are heated on a vertical hot plate, then the profile is pushed together at CRAZY pressure to weld it together......anyone else handy with the tools lol........but seriously it's a good idea....@budelee I hope for more success at lower temps dude:headbang::pass:

Back