Buildasoil doesn't need a topdress. At least not the first run. You can go water-only. They make bank on topdress because we reuse the soil. However, I always add a little chicken poop as a topdress when the seedlings are a couple of weeks old, and dump on some craft blend when I'm going into flower.

Mulch is a really big deal for living soil, though.
I asked around I got craft blend because I thought it was like NLS, and was all I needed to do a water only grow. I was told that I needed to get a top dress for flower. 1 person said i may get by with just craft blend, but for better results to get their buildaflower. So you're telling me I can do a water only with craft blend and nothing else, at least with autos? I was gonna use craft blend this grow, but sounds like I got bad info. I actually emailed BuildASoil asking if this was possible, but the reply didn't make any sense to me. Was a little disappointed in the response tbh. Here is their response.

Screenshot_20230601_204513_Gmail.jpg

I looked at this stuff already. All I asked was if I could do a water only grow with just using craft blend. It's a yes, or no question and that's what they replied lol. So I wasn't gonna to email them the same question again. I Normally use hydroton on top of my soil, but wasnt sure if that would be ok to use. I was gonna ask if I could use it. I don't have anything else. I was gonna grab some straw, but I had to buy big bundle for way too much money. You think hydroton is ok to use?
:pass:

Craft Blend is a well balanced amendment and can be used all by itself or with other stuff...Can be top dressed (which wont be immediately available) and/or made into a nutrient tea (available to plants sooner) however i think Its main purpose is reamending depleted soil after a grow or whatever... I do all of that at different times plus add build a flower and molasses fairly frequently.. anything to avoid bottled nutrients.

Per their website:
  • Brew All Around Balanced Nutrient Tea's for Veg - Flower (1/4 - 1 Cup Per 5 gallon Bucket of Water)
  • Re-Amend your used Organic Soil at 2-4 Cups Per Cubic Foot
  • Top Dress at 1/4 - 1 Cup Per Plant.

Craft Blend is a well balanced amendment and can be used all by itself or with other stuff...Can be top dressed (which wont be immediately available) and/or made into a nutrient tea (available to plants sooner) however i think Its main purpose is reamending depleted soil after a grow or whatever... I do all of that at different times plus add build a flower and molasses fairly frequently.. anything to avoid bottled nutrients.

Per their website:
  • Brew All Around Balanced Nutrient Tea's for Veg - Flower (1/4 - 1 Cup Per 5 gallon Bucket of Water)
  • Re-Amend your used Organic Soil at 2-4 Cups Per Cubic Foot
  • Top Dress at 1/4 - 1 Cup Per Plant.
I thought it was:face: I can't remember where I asked I thought it was here. Well I have a 3 lbs bag of it. I will use it. I have 3lbs left of the autoflower NLS, and photo NLS 5 lbs. I also have FFOF I can use like I did tbis grow. I like the NLS no complaints. I have to finish this 1 still, but so far... so good. After this grow i have enough to do 5.5 grows which is almost 2yrs for me. By then I should have my own compost well before I go through all that. That's the goal is to not need to buy anything right lol. Mine seems to be very wet I started it late Feb. It's a spinning 1, not a pile. Not sure what to do to dry it up some. It isn't making a lot of heat, and I spin it almost everyday. It's been upper 80's hit 90°f today I thought it would be cooking. I've seen things crawling around so there was life. How long from start should it take? I have good amount of compost i think.

Depends on what are you composting.. I only compost indoor fan leaves and root balls along with the used soil thats out of rotation and being reamended... it all goes into the used soil/trim/worm bin for reamendment and aging so its not "hot".

Depends on what are you composting.. I only compost indoor fan leaves and root balls along with the used soil thats out of rotation and being reamended... it all goes into the used soil/trim/worm bin for reamendment and aging so its not "hot".
A lot of fruit, paper, coffee grinds, filters, some grass, leaves, bread, etc... anything you would have at your house. I'm anal so I grab all I see lol.

I asked around I got craft blend because I thought it was like NLS, and was all I needed to do a water only grow. I was told that I needed to get a top dress for flower. 1 person said i may get by with just craft blend, but for better results to get their buildaflower. So you're telling me I can do a water only with craft blend and nothing else, at least with autos? I was gonna use craft blend this grow, but sounds like I got bad info. I actually emailed BuildASoil asking if this was possible, but the reply didn't make any sense to me. Was a little disappointed in the response tbh. Here is their response.

View attachment 1599406

I looked at this stuff already. All I asked was if I could do a water only grow with just using craft blend. It's a yes, or no question and that's what they replied lol. So I wasn't gonna to email them the same question again. I Normally use hydroton on top of my soil, but wasnt sure if that would be ok to use. I was gonna ask if I could use it. I don't have anything else. I was gonna grab some straw, but I had to buy big bundle for way too much money. You think hydroton is ok to use?
:pass:
They say it on their videos. Something like, "If you just want to go water-only through your grow, this soil will let you do that." Then he goes on to talk about his schedule and how if you want to really drive yields, you should buy their stuff. I did it in a 20 gallon. The smaller the pot size, the quicker it runs out of stuff. I'm also currently running plants in 5 gallon used Buildasoil amended as I mentioned. I'm not seeing deficiencies I used see in flower so I'm getting there. But the grows aren't done yet...

I think from five gallon pots you should be able to run an auto water only. Smaller pots -maybe.

Hydroton - Yeah, I think that would probably work. I've mulched with just about everything else. Including cardboard, plastic, leaves, crushed granite, whatever keeps the top layer of soil from drying out too quickly.

They say it on their videos. Something like, "If you just want to go water-only through your grow, this soil will let you do that." Then he goes on to talk about his schedule and how if you want to really drive yields, you should buy their stuff. I did it in a 20 gallon. The smaller the pot size, the quicker it runs out of stuff. I'm also currently running plants in 5 gallon used Buildasoil amended as I mentioned. I'm not seeing deficiencies I used see in flower so I'm getting there. But the grows aren't done yet...

I think from five gallon pots you should be able to run an auto water only. Smaller pots -maybe.

Hydroton - Yeah, I think that would probably work. I've mulched with just about everything else. Including cardboard, plastic, leaves, crushed granite, whatever keeps the top layer of soil from drying out too quickly.
I have seen a bunch of their videos, which I do like. Thing is that's isn't Customer service well, not good Customer service. It was a simple question that they should have been able to answer. You don't respond by saying here is 10 videos watch these again. You say yeah, you can its talks about it in this this video "XYZ" That kinda pissed me off. I watched every video I could find on craft blend, and don't recall them specifically saying that. I may have missed 1, or missed it in a video "but I don't think so Tim." I have heard their products are great, and I don't doubt that. After watching so many video with them saying if you have any question ask we're here to help. Then I get a list of videos I should watch, and find out if it's in there. Not the response I expect. It felt like a brush off. Just sayin'. OK, I figured if it worked before it would work again. I wasn't sure how it would work with a top dress. As long as it washes down which it should I think.

I have seen a bunch of their videos, which I do like. Thing is that's isn't Customer service well, not good Customer service. It was a simple question that they should have been able to answer. You don't respond by saying here is 10 videos watch these again. You say yeah, you can its talks about it in this this video "XYZ" That kinda pissed me off. I watched every video I could find on craft blend, and don't recall them specifically saying that. I may have missed 1, or missed it in a video "but I don't think so Tim." I have heard their products are great, and I don't doubt that. After watching so many video with them saying if you have any question ask we're here to help. Then I get a list of videos I should watch, and find out if it's in there. Not the response I expect. It felt like a brush off. Just sayin'. OK, I figured if it worked before it would work again. I wasn't sure how it would work with a top dress. As long as it washes down which it should I think.
I sent them an email a few months ago and never got a response. Bad customer service is usually a deal-breaker for me. I just really like the soil.

I don't think they recommend Craft Blend going into flower. They have BuildaFlower, I think it's called, which is just good compost but it's really expensive. That's why I've been just using Craft Blend.

I sent them an email a few months ago and never got a response. Bad customer service is usually a deal-breaker for me. I just really like the soil.

I don't think they recommend Craft Blend going into flower. They have BuildaFlower, I think it's called, which is just good compost but it's really expensive. That's why I've been just using Craft Blend.
Same with me good CS will only help your business, not hurt it. "I'm not mad... I'm just disappointed" lol. I will try it see if it lives up to the hype. I expect it to be good, and I'll go from here.

I'm assuming it's like what I'm doing here kinda. BuildAFlower is similar to the GFP I got. I bet you could use them interchangeably. Looks like with craft blend you use in veg either in a super soil, mixed through whole bag, tea, or like they recommend/prefer a top dress. Then in flower you top dress, or use tea. That's what you do with with NLS. I think next grow will be done with craft blend & GFP, and we will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Say with me good CS will only help your business, not hurt it. "I'm not mad... I'm just disappointed" lol. I will try it see if it lives up to the hype. I expect it to be good, and I'll go from here.

I'm assuming it's like what I'm doing here kinda. BuildAFlower is similar to the GFP I got. I bet you could use them interchangeably. Looks like with craft blend you use in veg either in a super soil, mixed through whole bag, tea, or like they recommend/prefer a top dress. Then in flower you top dress, or use tea. That's what you do with with NLS. I think next grow will be done with craft blend & GFP, and we will see how it goes.
Yeah I mix it with all kinds of stuff over time. It's probably all pretty similar. I found something that works for me and pretty much just quit looking. :joy:

Back