New Grower My First AFN Journal ~~Original OG Kush auto in 15 gallon pot~~ Stop in and Say hello!

LoveDaAutos

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Non Smoker
Hey Everybody! I joined this site a bit ago just to check things out. It took me a while to figure out somewhat how to navigate the site a bit. I have grown some autos in the past but not too awful many and always in my Coots soil. The quality was top shelf but the plant size was pretty lacking. When I started looking around on here I saw some amazing plants and knew I needed to do some research if I was going to up my game so to speak. I decided to do a grow journal to share my ups and downs and fingers crossed some of the experienced auto growers will pop in and offer some advice which I welcome whole heartedly. I'm also finding it hard to "meet" anyone on AFN and hope my journal can change that. So before I bore ya'll to tears or drive you away let's get things started.

Strain: Original OG Kush Auto
Breeder: FastBuds
Pot Size: 15 gallons
Medium: Homemade version of Promix
Lighting: HLG 280w QB (older model)
Tent: 2' x 4' x 4' tall
Nutrients: MC
Supplements: Cal-Mag if needed, Protekt Silica, and Kelp Meal

Grow Time: 63 days from sprout

I have read in a number of places that an auto flower plant does not need a pot over 5 gallons in size. That they don't take advantage of the amount of medium or maybe better said they don't fill the pot with roots. And of course I have also read "bigger pots = bigger roots=bigger plants". I have experimented (experiments are good) and for me I feel like the two autos I grew in a 15 gallon pot way outperformed the five or six I grew in 3 gallon fabric pots. All in the same tent with the same light and same nutrients and same medium. So 15 gallon it is for this grow. Here is the 15 gallon pot filled with a fresh batch of homemade medium. It has already been wetted and is waiting for the seed which has already been placed into it's hempy solo cup to germinate.
View media item 23201View media item 23212
Left to right we have the Original OG Kush auto, in the center Sour Orange Livers auto, and Devil's Crack auto. I expect to see the OG Kush break the surface in a day or day and a half. The Sour Orange Livers and Devil's Crack about a day later. The OG Kush and Sour Orange Livers (Mephisto) will both be in 15 gallon pots, the Devil's Crack (Sweet seeds Dark Devil X Mephisto Sour Crack) in a 3 gallon pot. If things work as I hope I will be trying to reverse the Sour Orange Livers to create some S1 seeds for my collection. I will also do a small run of crosses with the SOL and DC plants. I love pollen chucking quite a lot.

I sure do hope for some member participation. Feel free to share photos of your plants. I'm here to learn so I could really use help and guidance. Not too proud to ask.

A quick status update for today 3/3/21. The Original OG Kush auto sprouted last night. I saw this as I was getting ready to go to bed. She broke ground without her helmet or membrane which was great. This morning she was standing up straight which to me is a sign she's a keeper.
View media item 23214
View media item 23213
The Sour Orange Livers has discarded her helmet and membrane but has not sprouted as of this morning. But she's getting close. So if they're just a day apart I can continue as planned and reverse the Sour Orange Livers to increase my small autoflower seed stock.

The Original OG Kush will be transplanted into her 15 gallon pot tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a great week.

I'll ride along! I'm only on my second grow so I'm not much help if things go wrong but, there's a great knowledgeable crew that can jump in.

I've read about the hempy buckets but not a solo hempy germination method. Looks like it worked well! Do you extract just the seedling or do you transfer this whole cupfull into your soil?

Do you extract just the seedling or do you transfer this whole cupfull into your soil?
Thanks for stopping in DCLXVI

The method to extract the seedling is called Floating. I will put a piece of tape over the drain hole on the bottom and slowly add water till the perlite starts to rise/float on the water. I will already have the hole made in the medium. I will then very gently hold the seedling by the "neck" and while lightly squeezing the sides of the cup I lightly pull up on the seedling. It's amazing how easy 99.4% of them come out of the perlite. I then place the tap root down into the hole I created and gently backfill around it. If I thought it stressed the seedling at all I wouldn't do it. I'll see what I can do to get some one handed pictures tomorrow during transplant. I like to give the plant one extra day after sprouting before transplanting it.

Back