Pumpkin Guts!

Root

Grandma Roody
Reaction score
Website
everessencekd.com
Currently Smoking
My Genius Pipe!
All you Zombies, Witches and Ghosts that are carving pumpkins this year and hopefully entering in the AFN Pumpkin carving contest! ...
What are you going to do with the Pumpkin Guts?

Eek drew the short straw at work and has the honor of carving the store Halloween Pumpkin.
We haven't felt the need to have a lighted Jack O Lantern for several years. But I know that pumpkin seeds are good for you. They are full of iron, magnesium, fiber, zinc, potassium, healthy fat proteins and tryptophan. Tryptophan crosses the blood brain barrier (like cannabis) and boosts the serotonin in our brain, for a better mood.:thumbsup:

Googling what can I do with pumpkin guts gave me lots to read. Seems like many people have many ideas on how to roast seeds. Some boil before roasting, some roast with bits of the pulp on them...and then there are many ways to season them.

I decided to do my seeds a variety of ways and share it with you!
This is Eek's pumpkin.
IMG_20161028_194520222.jpg

This is what I get to work with. I'll roast the seeds and make something out of the pulp.
The messiest way to separate the seeds from the pulp is to dig in with both hands and squish them through your fingers. They don't have to be pulp free, the pulp adds flavor when you roast them.
Or you can put the seeds in a bowl of water, they will float and the pulp easily is separated. You will want clean the seeds if you are going to boil before roasting.

IMG_20161029_153701901.jpg

Seeds separated.
IMG_20161029_160242890.jpg

To boil the seeds before roasting...
1. Clean seeds in a bowl of water.
2. Boil seeds for 10 minutes in a pan of water with 1 teaspoon salt.
3. Reduce heat to simmer, simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Drain and dry.

IMG_20161029_163331865.jpg

While I was preparing my seeds, I was thinking of interesting ways to season them.
The first bowl on the left will be roasted with canna oil, salt and pepper.
The middle bowl with coconut oil and cocoa butter. I didn't use canna in this one, I wanted the coconut and chocolate taste only.
In the last bowl are the boiled seeds. I used green butter and cinnamon to these.

Here they are going into the oven.
IMG_20161029_165254674.jpg

1. Bake in a pre-heated oven 375 F (190 C) for 10 minutes
2. stir
3. bake 8 to 10 more minutes.

Make sure you spread them out on a single layer to get even roasting.
Cook for the full 18 to 20 minutes. I took the butter seeds out early because they were getting brown. If I do it again, I'll probably roast butter seeds at a lower temperature for longer.

IMG_20161029_174837406.jpg

Here are the finished seeds!

I'm going to try to make something with the pumpkin pulp today.

Attachments

• IMG_20161029_161045358.jpg
    IMG_20161029_161045358.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 213
All you Zombies, Witches and Ghosts that are carving pumpkins this year and hopefully entering in the AFN Pumpkin carving contest! ...
What are you going to do with the Pumpkin Guts?

Eek drew the short straw at work and has the honor of carving the store Halloween Pumpkin.
We haven't felt the need to have a lighted Jack O Lantern for several years. But I know that pumpkin seeds are good for you. They are full of iron, magnesium, fiber, zinc, potassium, healthy fat proteins and tryptophan. Tryptophan crosses the blood brain barrier (like cannabis) and boosts the serotonin in our brain, for a better mood.:thumbsup:

Googling what can I do with pumpkin guts gave me lots to read. Seems like many people have many ideas on how to roast seeds. Some boil before roasting, some roast with bits of the pulp on them...and then there are many ways to season them.

I decided to do my seeds a variety of ways and share it with you!
This is Eek's pumpkin.
View attachment 652614

This is what I get to work with. I'll roast the seeds and make something out of the pulp.
The messiest way to separate the seeds from the pulp is to dig in with both hands and squish them through your fingers. They don't have to be pulp free, the pulp adds flavor when you roast them.
Or you can put the seeds in a bowl of water, they will float and the pulp easily is separated. You will want clean the seeds if you are going to boil before roasting.

View attachment 652616

Seeds separated.
View attachment 652618

To boil the seeds before roasting...
1. Clean seeds in a bowl of water.
2. Boil seeds for 10 minutes in a pan of water with 1 teaspoon salt.
3. Reduce heat to simmer, simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Drain and dry.

View attachment 652631

While I was preparing my seeds, I was thinking of interesting ways to season them.
The first bowl on the left will be roasted with canna oil, salt and pepper.
The middle bowl with coconut oil and cocoa butter. I didn't use canna in this one, I wanted the coconut and chocolate taste only.
In the last bowl are the boiled seeds. I used green butter and cinnamon to these.

Here they are going into the oven.
View attachment 652621

1. Bake in a pre-heated oven 375 F (190 C) for 10 minutes
2. stir
3. bake 8 to 10 more minutes.

Make sure you spread them out on a single layer to get even roasting.
Cook for the full 18 to 20 minutes. I took the butter seeds out early because they were getting brown. If I do it again, I'll probably roast butter seeds at a lower temperature for longer.

View attachment 652622

Here are the finished seeds!

I'm going to try to make something with the pumpkin pulp today.

love pumpkin seeds
they're crunchy

love pumpkin seeds
they're crunchy
They are, and you can eat the hulls too.
One of my dogs, named Marley, got into the seeds last night and got quite high!

This is the second time she's gotten high and it was a little easier than the first time.
She likes the taste of cannabis and begs me for stems which she chews to bits.
IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

Just realized how much I like, and miss, pumpkin pie
seasonal growing-up festive food

I think I'm going to make pumpkin butter or a pumpkin cheesecake today.
Pumpkin pie has always been one of my favorites too!

halloween pumpkin smoking.jpg

Back