AFN Myth Busters 2017

How do I search lmao I've looked n can't figure it out no search bar

On the stabbing the stalk thing...my grandfather had an orchard of cherries and plums. One year I was staying at his cabin and I watched him walk out into the orchard with a pitchfork and beat the living tar out of one of his cherry trees. When I asked what the hell he was doing he said beating on the bark would cause the plant to go into a sort of 'emergency' mode and stimulate it to flower the next season. So, old sailor's tales? It was pretty amusing to watch, though.
Now I have seen fruit trees freak out when the tops have been injured. They will put out many small stems at the base of the tree and those stems will actually flower out of season as the plant desperately tries to reproduce before it dies.

Can anyone answer this? Thank you
I have read numerous reports claiming it does absolutely nothing for your plant. I have done side by sides and noticed zero difference. So I don’t use it anymore. There is always plenty in my soil if they want or need it. I think aloe Vera and coconut water or spouted seed teas does WAY more for seedlings and full grown vegging and flowering plants up until about 1/2 way through flowering. Btw B52 contains BAP along with many other things then b vitamins. I think the BAP is the real magic bullet. It is in fact a synthetic cytokinin and promotes cell division.

Last edited:
Anyone inhabiting this thread still - I wanna double down on a particular myth for autos....?!?
Anyone?

Am looking at roots a lot recently and as much as its still dicey proposition am looking at up potting an auto on purpose.
My thinking is when up potting photos I had (when I started) a couple that had transplant shock, shitty but they caught up eventually).
But that transplant shock is cited as why you "NEVER UP POT AUTO'S".
But given what I know now, I haven't had TS for 6 months because I follow a few rules.
Now, assuming same procedure is followed - dry out medium, care and attention to ease any root movement, liberal sprinkle of mico's on root contact, and a good feed afterwards. Isn't that shot of mics to the root structure going to boost plant growth; and if specifically timed with initiation of flowering, can't we use that as a springboard to push plant at that key juncture in it's development?

I have yet to transplant an auto, simply because as long as I've grown(only coming up on a year) that was one of the first things I learned (I understood why - but since I no longer get the issue through experience, why shouldn't I & more importantly would the mic boost and extra space be as beneficial as I think... ?

Or even as a trial, is it worth pulling plant from pot, add mics to root and simply return it to pot..?

I know this is an old post, but it deserves an answer. There was some talk about this but I've never seen proof. I've used FFOF and never even thought about this, and had no trouble with seedlings. I did however add some lime to the soil as I suspect soils like FFOF have a low ph. maybe it was needed, maybe not. Personally I find FFOF to be a good soil.

Ok seen this alot..
Is it a myth that fox farms ocean forest will burn up seedling autos ...

Transplanting autos does not hurt them. And transplant shock is due to damaging the plant during transplant, so with just a little care it is actually a good thing. When a plant has filled a pot with roots, the roots start circling.they are looking for a way out to more soil, like they would when encountering a rock outdoors. When transplanted it's like they throw a party! WOOO HOO! More soil! and growth explodes. I've transplanted hundreds of autos with 99% sucess. the 1% were those I didn't process correctly. I've literally documented transplanted auto that showed measurable growth within as litttle as 8 hours! often seeing growth of 1/2" to 1" withing 12 hours.

Here's how I do it. I water lightly 15 minutes before transplant. This keeps the rootball together. NEVER try to tranplant a pot with dry soil, it will crumble and break roots. Next, the time to transplant is when the canopy is as wide as the pots. usually 7-10 days in a 1quart ( liter ) pot. You'll see little to no root circling but the roots will have reached the bottom. I've never had a transparent stall with the exception of a couple I over watered.

I've done some direct to soil, no tranplant grows, and have found my transplants to grow bigger plants. This is anecdotal, not science, but as I say, this is from experience with hundreds of transplants.

don't transplant is a long since busted myth!

Am looking at roots a lot recently and as much as its still dicey proposition am looking at up potting an auto on purpose.
My thinking is when up potting photos I had (when I started) a couple that had transplant shock shitty but they caught up eventually.
But given what I know now, I haven't had TS for 6 months because I follow a few rules.
Now, assuming same procedure is followed - dry out medium, care and attention to ease any root movement, liberal sprinkle of mico's on root contact, and a good feed afterwards. Isn't that shot of mics to the root structure going to boost plant growth; and if specifically timed with initiation of flowering, can't we use that as a springboard to push plant at that key juncture in it's development?

I have yet to transplant an auto, simply because as long as I've grown(only coming up on a year) that was one of the first things I learned (I understood why - but since I no longer get the issue through experience, why shouldn't I & more importantly would the mic boost and extra space be as beneficial as I think... ?

And bring on the questions! Anything you may be wondering about, growers! There is still a lot of bullshit to be busted in the growing world!

I doubt pulling a plant from a pot to add anything is worth doing. a well established root system will take much longer to respond than a properly transplanted seedling. And mycos added after the plant has taken root is likely a waste of time. It takes quite a while for the the mycos to becomes established. I've read discussion that mycos added to potted canna may actual do very little as they don't have enough time to to permeate the soil enough. Adding them long after ther plant is established won't do much of anything. And anything you want to add can be done by top dressing. I've proved the worth of top dressing to myself with my veggie raised beds. I had some pumpkin plants that sucked the nutes out of the soil and had an N def. I top dressed with organic nutrients and added some blood meal. BOOM! withing three days they were green and growing well.

My thinking is when up potting photos I had (when I started) a couple that had transplant shock, shitty but they caught up eventually).

Or even as a trial, is it worth pulling plant from pot, add mics to root and simply return it to pot..?

Back