Dinafem Orange Juice, Purps #1, Cheese CBD, Dinamed Plus Ebb and Flow Rockwool SOG (Animatey)

Animatey

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Reaction score
Hey AFN,

I have been unable to grow for about a year, and I am back at it, about 1 month into my current grow.

Plants are currently in their 3rd day of 12/12.

I'm doing some unorthodox things, and I haven't grown for a year so who knows how this will turn out...
  • I'm jamming 8 plants into a 2.5 x 2.5 x 6 feet tent
  • 4 different strains (all Dinafem) with one rez
  • 1 Dinamed CBD Plus
  • 2 Orange Juice
  • 3 Purps [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG]
  • 2 Cheese CBD
The method is one I haven't used before... Doing an Ebb and Flow with a DIY stand made of PVC and an under bed storage from IKEA as the rez. Using Active Aqua flood tray, and Botanicare fittings. Medium is 6 x 6 x 6 inch Pargo Quick Drain Rockwool cubes.

I'm using Sensi Bloom A + B and CaliMagic for the whole grow (no veg nutes). I might add overdrive in late flowering if things are otherwise going well.

This eccentric character is my entire grow space:
Tent.JPG

This is the most space I have ever been able to grow in, so of course I’m putting 8 plants in there :).

I’m currently using 200 watts of vero 29 gen 7 COB, but will be building my own COB rig within the next 2 weeks to hopefully spread the light better and use 280 watts.

Light.JPG

I used a space bucket to start 12 seeds, and then chose the best looking 9 from there.
SB1.JPG
SB2.JPG
SB3.JPG
SB4.JPG

When they were between 4 and 9 days old they got transplanted into 6x6 Rockwool cubes.
Transplanted4-9.JPG
Transplanted2.JPG

They moved slowly during this time because I was struggling with lower temps even during the day.

Here they are 10 days later, between 14 and 19 days old
14191.JPG
14192.JPG

Here they are at approximately day 22 from seed. I hooked them up to a drip irrigation system, but I didn’t like it. These Pargro rockwool cubes annoy me because each cube holds a diff amount of water when saturated. Also I had a couple of leaks in the drip tubing. So I converted it to Ebb and Flow shortly after this.

I had to remove one plant to make room for the fittings, and this worked well because there was a very small cheese to remove and it was definitely the most behind.
22Drip.JPG

Here are all 8 of them today, at 25 days of veg + 3 days of 12/12:
28_2.JPG
28.JPG

I’d like to invite a couple other photo growers I’ve met on this site to have an occasional look, if interested. I figure since this is an auto site and we grow photos we should stick together
:pass:

@Sleazyb @RivetGrrl

I’d also like to invite @Dinafem-Mark since I’m running all Dinafem gear. So far I’m very happy with the genetics and hopefully I can do them some justice.

Also I would like to invite @Mañ'O'Green. I wont be hitting any kind of results like yours, but I figure not many people grow in rockwool that I have seen.

Now that I have invited everyone, hopefully I won't trainwreck this too hard LOL...

Thanks for stopping by and good luck in your gardens!

Last edited:
Hey AFN,

I have been unable to grow for about a year, and I am back at it, about 1 month into my current grow.

Plants are currently in their 3rd day of 12/12.

I'm doing some unorthodox things, and I haven't grown for a year so who knows how this will turn out...
  • I'm jamming 8 plants into a 2.5 x 2.5 x 6 feet tent
  • 4 different strains (all Dinafem) with one rez
  • 1 Dinamed CBD Plus
  • 2 Orange Juice
  • 3 Purps [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG]
  • 2 Cheese CBD
The method is one I haven't used before... Doing an Ebb and Flow with a DIY stand made of PVC and an under bed storage from IKEA as the rez. Using Active Aqua flood tray, and Botanicare fittings. Medium is 6 x 6 x 6 inch Pargo Quick Drain Rockwool cubes.

I'm using Sensi Bloom A + B and CaliMagic for the whole grow (no veg nutes). I might add overdrive in late flowering if things are otherwise going well.

This eccentric character is my entire grow space:
View attachment 1075148

This is the most space I have ever been able to grow in, so of course I’m putting 8 plants in there :).

I’m currently using 200 watts of vero 29 gen 7 COB, but will be building my own COB rig within the next 2 weeks to hopefully spread the light better and use 280 watts.

View attachment 1075155

I used a space bucket to start 12 seeds, and then chose the best looking 9 from there.
View attachment 1075157 View attachment 1075158 View attachment 1075159 View attachment 1075160

When they were between 4 and 9 days old they got transplanted into 6x6 Rockwool cubes.
View attachment 1075170 View attachment 1075169

They moved slowly during this time because I was struggling with lower temps even during the day.

Here they are 10 days later, between 14 and 19 days old
View attachment 1075162 View attachment 1075163

Here they are at approximately day 22 from seed. I hooked them up to a drip irrigation system, but I didn’t like it. These Pargro rockwool cubes annoy me because each cube holds a diff amount of water when saturated. Also I had a couple of leaks in the drip tubing. So I converted it to Ebb and Flow shortly after this.

I had to remove one plant to make room for the fittings, and this worked well because there was a very small cheese to remove and it was definitely the most behind.
View attachment 1075164

Here are all 8 of them today, at 25 days of veg + 3 days of 12/12:
View attachment 1075166 View attachment 1075167

I’d like to invite a couple other photo growers I’ve met on this site to have an occasional look, if interested. I figure since this is an auto site and we grow photos we should stick together
:pass:

@Sleazyb @RivetGrrl

I’d also like to invite @Dinafem-Mark since I’m running all Dinafem gear. So far I’m very happy with the genetics and hopefully I can do them some justice.

Also I would like to invite @Mañ'O'Green. I wont be hitting any kind of results like yours, but I figure not many people grow in rockwool that I have seen.

Now that I have invited everyone, hopefully I won't trainwreck this too hard LOL...

Thanks for stopping by and good luck in your gardens!

Besides not having enough space the only problem I see is with the ebb&flow. If you cannot flood over the top of the cubes you will develop salt deposits inside the cubes at the water line. It will become toxic at some point and stunt or kill the plants. I learned this the hard way. The solution to this is to irrigate with a hose from the top once a week to wash the salts out. I did this at reservoir change and ran it to waste. Then I went to drip to solve the issue altogether.

Other then that the light is your limiting factor 200 (true) watts being optimistic can yield 1.75 g per watt or ~350g. Another way to look at it is 500g per square meter is also a good yield metric and you have .6 m². so 300g would be a good yield. so if all goes well you will get something in that neighborhood. Two plants can easily yield that. so that said you may want to trim to single cola plants?

Besides not having enough space the only problem I see is with the ebb&flow. If you cannot flood over the top of the cubes you will develop salt deposits inside the cubes at the water line. It will become toxic at some point and stunt or kill the plants. I learned this the hard way. The solution to this is to irrigate with a hose from the top once a week to wash the salts out. I did this at reservoir change and ran it to waste. Then I went to drip to solve the issue altogether.

Other then that the light is your limiting factor 200 (true) watts being optimistic can yield 1.75 g per watt or ~350g. Another way to look at it is 500g per square meter is also a good yield metric and you have .6 m². so 300g would be a good yield. so if all goes well you will get something in that neighborhood. Two plants can easily yield that. so that said you may want to trim to single cola plants?
Thanks for the visit MOG!

I do plan to top water once a week for the salts as I only flood about 3 inches up the cubes.

I'm not sure how to trim a single kola tbh..

I've sort of been going that way as best I can, I've trimmed off the lower 3 sets of branches on all 8 plants (over the last 2 weeks) but I'm not sure if I should keep going with trimming off the branches.

It's definitely the most dense I have run a tent, but it's surprisingly hard to find info on how to trim for a sog...

I'm thinking I'll try to leave them maybe 3-5 colas but I'm not sure yet.. Definitely going to be a learning experience...

I'll be adding another 80 watts of COB within the next week or two so I can hopefully get closer to maxing out my space.

Thanks for reading through all that and stopping by to help me stay on track!

Sign me up for this show. Your girls look great. They seem to be perfectly healthy . I dont know anything about this system your running but I love seeing the different ways people grow weed lol. Thanks for the invite.

Oh I'm here mate don't worry about that, I do love a multiple strain grow :pass:

With 4 of our strains being grown

1 Dinamed CBD Plus
2 Orange Juice
3 Purps [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG]
2 Cheese CBD

How could I not drop in :thumbsup:

Orange Juice is one of our newer strains, Purps#1 is just a fantastic strain with Cheese CBD and our latest pure CBD photoperiod strain DinaMed CBD Plus completing the selection :pass:

Best of luck with the grow my friend and thank you for choosing our genetics for this adventure :bighug:

All the best :bong:

Mark..

Couple of hiccups, but so far so good.

Problems:
  • pH Perfect is BS, at least in recirc systems.... They guarantee it will work for 7 days, but after only 5 I was reading 7.0 pH. I also think their bloom formula is too high in N. I did a top feed and collected the run off, and the run off was lower than what was going in. So they were in general underfed, but showing signs of too much N (dark green, clawing tips). Anyways, I'm running Lucas formula using GH, calibrating my meter every week and using pH down... It sucks but at least my pH is good.
  • Springtails.... they have not yet made it to my grow room, and hopefully they wont. They have invaded my whole house... I hired exterminator about 3 days ago and am seeing less of them. Really hoping they don't get in there as they will love the rockwool.
This plant was unhappy (about 4 days ago), due to pH, probably too much N, and a night of accidentally high humidity when I plugged the exhaust into the wrong timer. Her new growth is not clawed (the old growth still is) and she looks ok now, but this was her:
claw.JPG

Onto the good stuff:

I finished my CoB grow light, and I am very happy with it!!!

It is the best light I have had for sure.

It has solid intensity, and it is very evenly spread.

I get about 40k lux in the lowest points and 48k in the highest. These numbers should be above 500par across the whole tent, so I am definitely happy with it. It's actually a little higher in the corners than in the center, but just barely.

I used a different driver and different cobs, but this is the tutorial I followed:

https://ledgardener.com/build-led-grow-light/

Building the frame definitely taught me humility and how to curse. I had never done any work with metal before and it was definitely an experience...

I have done a few wiring projects before and this one was not tooo difficult because there was no soldering at all.

Here is the table before I got started:
table1.JPG

Here is the frame all laid out:
layingoutframe.JPG

Some of my cuts were not good... they were a little crooked and it made everything down the line harder. In the videos of the tutorial I watched it was clear the guy had done some of this stuff before as he made it look REALLY EASY... It wasn't lol.. not for me anyways. I spent probably 2 hours grinding holes I drilled to be bigger because I missed the actual spot I meant to drill despite measuring 3-4 times. Probably took me 20 hours total to put it together and wire it up.

Here it is with everything screwed on, and wired up:
wiresall.JPG

Here is what the bottom actually looks like with everything installed:
lightbottom.JPG

And here it is in the tent:
tent1.JPG

It pulls 300 actual watts from the wall, so a little more than 70 watts per CoB. I spaced them 24 inches apart which I feel was about right. At some heights it's more intense in the middle, and at other heights it's more intense in the corners, but it's never a big spread of numbers which I'm thinking must be awesome for a sog where plants take up the whole tent.

The girls are doing OK for approximately 11 days of 12/12 and 25 days of veg.

I'm flooding once a day right now and they seem to think that's OK.

Stretch is less than I thought it would be, not sure if that will be good or bad... hopefully they aren't done growing up, but at the same time I have had to remove some fan leaves to keep humidity down so that might not be helping.

Here is the group from the top:
group1.JPG

That's all I have this week, good luck in your gardens!

Last edited:
Couple of hiccups, but so far so good.

Problems:
  • pH Perfect is BS, at least in recirc systems.... They guarantee it will work for 7 days, but after only 5 I was reading 7.0 pH. I also think their bloom formula is too high in N. I did a top feed and collected the run off, and the run off was lower than what was going in. So they were in general underfed, but showing signs of too much N (dark green, clawing tips). Anyways, I'm running Lucas formula using GH, calibrating my meter every week and using pH down... It sucks but at least my pH is good.
  • Springtails.... they have not yet made it to my grow room, and hopefully they wont. They have invaded my whole house... I hired exterminator about 3 days ago and am seeing less of them. Really hoping they don't get in there as they will love the rockwool.
This plant was unhappy (about 4 days ago), due to pH, probably too much N, and a night of accidentally high humidity when I plugged the exhaust into the wrong timer. Her new growth is not clawed (the old growth still is) and she looks ok now, but this was her:
View attachment 1078597

Onto the good stuff:

I finished my CoB grow light, and I am very happy with it!!!

It is the best light I have had for sure.

It has solid intensity, and it is very evenly spread.

I get about 40k lux in the lowest points and 48k in the highest. These numbers should be above 500par across the whole tent, so I am definitely happy with it. It's actually a little higher in the corners than in the center, but just barely.

I used a different driver and different cobs, but this is the tutorial I followed:

https://ledgardener.com/build-led-grow-light/

Building the frame definitely taught me humility and how to curse. I had never done any work with metal before and it was definitely an experience...

I have done a few wiring projects before and this one was not tooo difficult because there was no soldering at all.

Here is the table before I got started:
View attachment 1078596

Here is the frame all laid out:
View attachment 1078598

Some of my cuts were not good... they were a little crooked and it made everything down the line harder. In the videos of the tutorial I watched it was clear the guy had done some of this stuff before as he made it look REALLY EASY... It wasn't lol.. not for me anyways. I spent probably 2 hours grinding holes I drilled to be bigger because I missed the actual spot I meant to drill despite measuring 3-4 times. Probably took me 20 hours total to put it together and wire it up.

Here it is with everything screwed on, and wired up:
View attachment 1078599

Here is what the bottom actually looks like with everything installed:
View attachment 1078600

And here it is in the tent:
View attachment 1078601

It pulls 300 actual watts from the wall, so a little more than 70 watts per CoB. I spaced them 24 inches apart which I feel was about right. At some heights it's more intense in the middle, and at other heights it's more intense in the corners, but it's never a big spread of numbers which I'm thinking must be awesome for a sog where plants take up the whole tent.

The girls are doing OK for approximately 11 days of 12/12 and 25 days of veg.

I'm flooding once a day right now and they seem to think that's OK.

Stretch is less than I thought it would be, not sure if that will be good or bad... hopefully they aren't done growing up, but at the same time I have had to remove some fan leaves to keep humidity down so that might not be helping.

Here is the group from the top:
View attachment 1078602

That's all I have this week, good luck in your gardens!

Very nice COB build! I want to do something similar, when I can spend $$ on more lights.

As for the springtails, it might sound gross but I had them invade my reservoirs awhile ago. I didn't know what they were and panicked, turns out they just eat organic matter that is decaying. Since I use organic teas etc. they seem to just hang around. They are no where else, and I don't know how they got in the room.

I pretend I don't see them, they eat the dead stuff, and my plants seem fine. I chatted with Waira about it and seems it OK. Kinda weird, I'd rather NOT have them, but right now my reservoirs and buckets are teaming with good biologicals and I'm not gonna nuke anything. I don't even clean my reservoirs or buckets or anything until I'm done my grow, I know it makes some people squirm but it works for me so far :smoking: My tents and room are clean, no crap anywhere but IN the buckets.

I had pythium, and only cleared it up with the organic tea. The one time I cleaned all my reservoirs and reset everything the pythium exploded. So that's why I stopped and let the good stuff balance itself. I am pretty sure if I went back to cleaning now I'd be fine as stuff has been cleaned and sterilized a few times, but as I mentioned, it is working well now and I monitor roots daily.

Back