Yozhik

INTJ & Non-Violent Domestic Extremist
Reaction score
Getting ready for Grow #2.

The Sweet Seeds are soaking, and I'm running around like the Mad Hatter trying to get Campus ready for the new intake of students.

Currently in the water are;
  • 4 x Cream Mandarine XL AUTO
  • 4 x Sweet Trainwreck AUTO
  • 4 x Green Poison AUTO
  • 3 x Cream Mandarine AUTO
  • 1 x Cream Caramel AUTO

Germination will be in the ol' "water and paper towel" method.
Medium will be the same as the first grow; i.e. Plagron Lite. Hopefully this grow will also christen Autopot systems for me, but at this stage, it could also be conducted in the tried and tested Airpots. [TBC]
Nutrients will be Advanced Nutrients [at this stage], but am thinking of cutting back and making it more minimalistic to use as a comparison with Grow #1. Contemplating just using base nutes; i.e. Sensi Grow and Sensi Bloom ... but I am sure the need to tinker will get the better of me and I'll add to those base nutes as the grow progresses, through boredom more than anything else.
Grow Space is the same; the Green Qube 300x200x220.
Lighting will initially be the same; i.e. 4 x 600W HPS to be activated as and when required. HOWEVER - watch this space ... will hopefully be taking delivery of some new toys soon. [HINT: GroGlo Version 5 LEDs]
Lighting Schedule will be 20/4.
Drying will be done using the "brown paper bag" method.

The Goal is to achieve an average of 3oz dried, per plant, in the jars by Easter.

Will post in a few days when things have developed ...

New Campus - First Semester 2016

aYVQkD0.jpg

Last edited:
Nice line-up dude! Got a front row seat for this one! :pop:

So are you running the Autopots for this grow then?

hey @Hansbricks - welcome!
No heckling from the front, OK?

Ummm ... autopots ... yes, no, maybe?
Not 100% settled on that yet, but the way I figure it, I have a little time - not much - but a little, to decide.
I can germinate them in smaller temporary accommodation, then transfer into whichever final Campus dormitory I choose.
IF ... IF ... the final sorority house happens to be an Autopot -then no harm, no foul - because from the accounts on here, you generally handwater them for about the first 3-4 weeks anyway, until the tap root gets down into the good stuff anyway. So I have a few days to decide on their final living quarters, but its approaching fast!

tick ... tock ...

Today [Mon 18 Jan] is Day 1.

The majority of the girls have decided to poke their heads above soil this morning.
So I'm counting this as the start to the semester.

Have come to a decision re: Autopots.
I'm not going to use them for this grow.

My reason?
This is only my second grow. I'm a baby.
Still in cannacultural nappies.
I still don't know if I have the basics sorted.
Maybe I got lucky on my virgin grow. Very lucky.
The result may have simply been awesome seed genetics and my ignorance guided me.
Or maybe I'm a growing savant ...

:crying:

I just don't know ... and that's the thing ... I am an Unconscious Incompetent - I don't know, what I don't know.

Sooooooo ... I'm keeping it basic.
Before I move on, I need to replicate the result to demonstrate - to myself - that I am evolving into a Conscious Incompetent, when I will have a better handle on knowing what I don't know.
My decision is to stick - for the most part - with the elements and equipment I used previously, that were researched and intentionally chosen, because of the shared experiences and collective wisdom of thousands of growers before me.

Again, it's only my second grow - why try to reinvent the wheel?
That time will come.

Anyway ... here are the details.

• 16 soaked seeds went into Plagron Lightmix, in ~ 7.5l pots, which will later be transplanted into 30l Airpots.
  • Pots were watered to runoff prior to putting seeds in with water [pH ~6.4]
  • Tent temperature is sitting at ~25 ºC [+/- 2ºC]
  • Tent humidity is around 50%RH
  • Currently using 2 x 600W HPS on 24/0

So the initial pot in this grow is different to the first - the medium isn't.
The girls are being birthed in a standard, smaller pot. No frills, no bells, no whistles ... just a standard plastic pot.
The 'magic' will come at transplant time, when [hopefully] the established root mass will be given freedom to do its thing in a larger 30l Airpot, and [hopefully] that new found liberty will trigger a growth explosion.
That's the theory ... [See. Unconscious Incompetent]

Other tweaks?
I'm going to;
  • let the ladies grow au naturel in terms of structure and shape; i.e. no LST. Why? Curiosity - I want to see their natural shape and form, but also, as a comparison with the first LST grow in terms of plant structure, bud development, and yield.
  • use less nutrients, but what I do use, will [hopefully] be specifically targeted.
  • focus on environmental parameters; i.e. temps, RH%, ventilation

More plants, less fuss.
In theory.

Day 1 UPDATE:

15 mini Audrey II's now above soil.

serveimage

Just waiting on 1 x Sweet Trainwreck Auto to show herself.
If she breaks through, then it will be a 100% germination rate.
Hopefully she'll appear in the next 24/48 hours.

Pics will start when the cotyledon have shed their shells, and/or first leaves have developed.

They'll be receiving this from the get go ... 1.0 ml/l in water, pH'd to 6.0-6.5.

mr-root-250ml-radical-nutrients.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 2:

Just had a morning peek into Campus ... as you do ... and the good news is 16 are now above soil.
So, prima facie, a 100% germination rate.
The [potentially] bad news is I suspect a couple won't make it.

It would appear that on a couple of the Sweet Trainwreck Autos, the tap root has pushed up, in contradistinction to pushing down.
End result: it seems as if a couple of immature seeds, with casing still intact, have been exposed to the outside world before they were ready.
The tap root also seems to have been somewhat damaged by the exposure to the elements instead of being nurtured in the below surface nursery. The same may apply to a couple of others, but not to the same extent - I am more hopeful for their future.

If true, then it's a rookie mistake on my part.
Could be a result of underlying medium being too compacted, or the seed being too shallow, or a combination of both and other factors.
It's in the lap of the Canna gods now. We'll see how it develops.

Lesson learned?
Even when a seed shows a tap root ... even when a burgeoning seedling shows itself above soil ... you don't count the ladies just yet.
Germination does not a seedling make.
It ain't a seedling until the root goes down, the casing is off, the cotyledons are out, and the true leaves exist.

Every day is a learning day.

Back